Reload this Page >

Architectural gem and restaurant hint near (?the dreaded?) Union Square and

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Cassandra

To architectural buffs, I wish to recommend a visit to the Xanadu Gallery on Maiden Lane just off Union Square in San Francisco.

I have no opinion pro or con about the Union Sq. area, although I understand there was some sort of karfuffle about it here a while ago. But Xanadu is a gem of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture that will startle -- and I think please -- those familiar with the Guggenheim in NYC. This was originally designed as a store by FLW and is just 2 stories joined by a graceful spiraling ramp. The front door treatment will also be familiar, but the proportions throughout are very very nice. The gallery itself specializes in pre-Columban works, and the owners seem to have a pretty good idea how to use their glorious space. It's a quick but rewarding visit.

And BTW, we had the "bistro" lunch at the stylish Farallon, not far away on Post St., which was an economical way to see the decor and enjoy the excellent cuisine. Having a regular lunch or dinner would set you back quite a bit, assuming you had a reservation. But go between 2:30 and 5 and order from the bistro menu and you can keep your late lunch under $20 or so.

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassandra,
How well I know the building. I used to walk by it all the time when I'd head to Britex Fabrics (that was when I had time to sew). I believe the building has had various uses over time - the gallery you mention, and I think it was a boutique setting for the designer Hela Howie some years ago.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:43 PM

"karfuffle"???!! What's that!? Sounds like an SUV that had an unfortunate meeting with a bunch of truffles.

I love Union Square, karfuffle or no karfuffle.

Thanks for the heads up, we'll try to go there this weekend!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:48 PM

EasyTraveler, here is another idea for this weekend: Paramount theater in Oakland hosts Geographical Society movies once a month. On January 31st at 2 pm it's Ireland. $10. And if you haven't been to Paramount it's a shame You can take BART to 12th, 1/2 block from there.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Faina: Thanks for the recommendation! Ireland is one of the places that I'm planning a longer trip to - someday!

Will I meet with a karfuffle if I go to Oakland? C
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:06 PM

No, but you might if you go to San Jose.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM

C The Mayor of San Jose is, unfortunately, in the hospital. Must be the local karfuffles! > <)
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Cassandra

You guys are great! I actually just made a guess at how to spell that word, having heard it first (in New England) as "kuffufle" and then seeing it written variously with "r's" here and there, most recently in the form I used (was it Wm. Safire?).

As to what it is -- synonyms would be "flapdoodle," "dust-up," "to-do," "squabble," "skirmish," "melee," "discussion," or "small rodent found only on Orkney Islands."

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Cassandra: Thanks for the enlightenment!

It's early in the morning and I haven't had my morning coffee as yet, but I confess to not understanding your first definition, "flapdoodle", so I started making some definitions of my own:

"flapdoodle" - Take a Yankee (Doodle), squash flat, place in a pan, and continuously flip the Yankee over until done. A popular dish in Washington, DC.

"dust up" - A common technique used by many cleaning women when, instead of wiping up the dust, one blows on the dust and make it swirl UPWARD

"to-do" - Hamlet's famous afterthought "to do or not to do"

"squabble" - a family of squab

"skirmish" - used when hitting one's thumb with hammer, most effective when said under one's breath

"melee" - as opposed to "you lay"? Uncertain of the etymology of this word

"discussion" - a concussion received when talking, discing someone too much

"small rodent found only in Orkney Island" - you got me there!

Sorry! I know...I better go and get my morning coffee...