Reload this Page >

Aquarium of the Smokies

Search

Aquarium of the Smokies

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Jacques

Aquarium of the Smokies

Anybody on this board been to the Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg? Is it worth a visit? I love aquariums (aquaria?) and am thinking about taking a detour to Gatlinburg on the way to Nashville from the east coast. Thanks!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Paul

Ripley's Believe it or Not Aquarium in the Smokey's is very good. It is right downtown Gatlinburg, so you will be in a very busy area (lots of traffic). It is very well done, and you actually tunnel through the center of the aquarium on a conveyer belt. There is also a large restaurant in the aquarium. They have lots of activities going on, shark/fish feedings, etc.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Nick

I went to both the Ripley's Aquarium in Gatelinburg and the Tennesse Aquarium in Chattanooga. Both are definately worth a visit!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
x

Hi jacques: I am a Tennessee native and visit Gatlinburg every 3 or 4 years. I have been to the Aquarium at Epcot in Florida and the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanoga. About a month ago we went to Gatlinburg and visited the Ripley's Aquarium. It is much better than Chattanoga's and rivals Disney World's. They have the typical aquarium exhibits, but the crown jewel is a moving platform that moves through a glass tunnel through the aquarium. Since it is crowed in Gatlinburg, the moving platform keeps people moving. You can step off the platform if you want to stay in one place and view things for a while and not get in the way of others moving through. They also have several shark and sting ray feedings a day. They also have an area where you can pet the stingrays. If you have kids they have a pretty good educational area that allows the kids to interact.

Ripley's also took a cue from Disney. You know how when you get off a ride at Disney World you have to go through the gift shop to exit? Well, the same goes for Ripley's.

Second to hiking, the aquarium is probably the best think in Gatlinburg now. So if you are driving by anyway, I would stop and check it out. I don't remember the exact prices, but I think it was around $18 for adults and $12 for children.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Kim

Ripley's has an identical acquarium in Myrtle Beach also.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 03:37 PM
MIchael

The Aquarium is awesome. I am a Knoxville native and I go to Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge at least twice a month to eat or shop. I consider myself a local, although Sevier Co. residents will dispute this.

I have taken my family to the Aquarium many times. For a full-time, but almost there, student, it was a pretty penny for us to go (myself, wife, 8 year old, 2 year old). Fortunately, if any one of you are currently in the military, as in active or part-time, they will give you a very handsome discount. I can't remember the exact prices, but my ticket went from around $18 to $5. I have visited the aquarium many times before an observent employee noticed my military ID and promtly gave me this huge discount.

It is well worth the money whether you pay $18 or $5.

And that is my 2 cents worth, give or take 2 cents.