APRIL IN NANTUCKET

Apr 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

APRIL IN NANTUCKET

My wife and I were planning to stay in Nantucket in April for a Sunday and Monday evening. We want to be close to downtown. Any suggestions for B&B or Inn's?
Apr 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM

We stayed at the Martin House Inn and enjoyed it. We were close enough to walk to downtown and also walked to Jetties Beach. Our room had a fireplace and its own little private porch which was nice.
Apr 7th, 2008, 03:14 AM

If you are thinking of April 25-27, be aware that it is Daffodil Weekend. Good thing you are looking for a Sun-Mon because for that weekend, Fri-Sat are likely to be sold out already.

That being said, that last weekend in April or the one before are good times to come because many shops and restaurants are closed until mid to late month, but it is a beautiful place in early spring.

Martin House has a good reputation, though you are not very likely to use a balcony because it is not likely to be that warm.

I live in Nantucket, so let me know if you have particular questions.

Apr 8th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your thoughtful responses! We were planning on traveling on Sunday the 20th. We are debating between the Seven Sea Street Inn and the Martin House. Any opinion on either of these places?

Also, for Ackislander,do you know if most shops, restaurants, bars will be open by that weekend?

Thank you again for your information!

Apr 9th, 2008, 03:25 AM

Many shops will be in the process of opening, but you should not expect a full shopping experience.

Everyone is painting and unpacking their merchandise at the moment.

I have not stayed at the Martin House, but I would recommend it over 7 Sea Street. We stayed there once while our house was being renovated, and our ceiling was the floor of the room above -- noisy.
Apr 9th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Martin House. One thing - they really sold me on the fireplace room over the phone. I wanted a fireplace since we were going sailing, and I knew it would be cool. I loved our room and was very excited about it, but they didn't provide any firewood. If that's important to you, I'd mention it ahead of time. Other than that, we really enjoyed it. The folks in charge baked cookies in the afternoon which scored major points with my husband. They also had a lot of menus to choose from and helped us select a spot for dinner. We would stay there again.
Apr 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Ackislander can probably answer this best, but being it is a Sunday/Monday you might want to begin inquiring about restaurants - might those be nights some are closed leaving reservation options something to look into prior to arrival?
Apr 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Yes, if dining out matters a lot to you. Call any place you are particularly interested in.

As I suggested, many downtown restaurants will not be opening until the middle or end of your week for Daffodil Weekend. This is the real beginning of the early season.

The casual places -- Brotherhood of Thieves, Atlantic Cafe -- will be definitely open, Black-eyed
Susans has reopened for dinner, and Center Street Bistro has been open all winter. Farther out, the Sea Grille is open for sure, but you will need a cab to get there.
Apr 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Ackislander: is Cinqo 5 still on island? (you just never know) - we loved our meal there - hoping it is still open for our visit this summer !
Apr 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Ackislander,

We only visit Nantucket on the shoulder seasons. When is the guest room available June/Sept???

Your humble, generous, future guest,
gyppie

(or we'll just have to rough it at the Woof Cottages with Miracle Max the Viszla}
Apr 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM

We had a great casual dinner at the Even Keel Cafe; I had a delicious fish that came with fabulous mashed potatoes. I could not keep my husband away from my plate!
Apr 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM

volcanogirl:
I learned early on how to keep my husband away from my plate..... I told him he would love what I was having, but there is some coconut in it (or mocha or coffee flavor) - all things he dislikes !! Actually, around our 26th year anniversary he figured it out - I'm glad he has a sense of humor
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM

Excellent tip, escargot, and our husbands have the same dislikes - no coffee or coconut for my husband either.
Apr 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Cinco was certainly open until the end of last season, and there is no reason to believe it won't be open this season as well -- but not yet!

Most of my friends think the food is great but the portions too small for a meal and too big and expensive for tapas, but I suppose portion size is a very individual matter.

gyppielou, how are you with a paintbrush? You don't happen to be an electrician? If you are, maybe we could do a deal

Today is the first day it will hit 50 in some months, so it is only very early spring here.
Apr 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Cinco is open and serving !! And on Mondays too - you might want to look into the menu - cinco5.com

I just made our rezzies for July on opentable.com, you could also use that service for some restaurants-

Ackislander: I agree with your assessment of Cinco - we have had friends think it is high price for tapas - and it is definitley tapas/sharing style portions - but I think the staff does an excellent job of steering the table to what will be enough, and to then "ordering up" if something is favored -

but it is not an inexpensive evening out by any means - esp if you add wine....and of course, we would !

Hicks: if you come back: here is my experience last year at Cinco and restaurants, etc from year before you might find helpful:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34831794

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35030388

have fun !
take notes !
then post them when you return !