Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Apple Picking - Near Manhattan and Within Access of Public Transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I love going apple picking but do not have access to a car since I live in Manhattan. Are there any orchards that you can suggest that are close to public transporation (metro north or bus)? Any orchard suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:14 AM

laya, most of the apple picking is probably over in NJ. Usually most of the varieties are ready for picking in mid-September, by now most orchards will have already picked their crops (so the apples don't all fall off the trees and get bruised). You can buy them in the Orchard store, but the picking all happens in a short couple weeks in my experience.

Don't know of any in walking distance to a train station, sorry!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:16 AM

http://www.applejournal.com/ny08.htm
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM

In addition to MikeT's suggestion, do a Google search for New Jersey and Connecticut apple orchards also. Then get on the MTA Metro North website and see if anything comes close. Since public transportation usually goes to heavily populated towns and not rural areas where apple orchards are found, you may have a difficult time.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 05:41 AM

There is still good apple picking in New York. I just went this weekend. But.. you will need a car as most are in Duchess County. Try Keepsake and Barton Orchards, if you are up to driving, it's a pretty drive, the leaves are just starting to turn.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 06:17 AM

laya0316, you can go apple picking in Rockland County, New York at Dr. Davies Farm on Route 304 in Congers (845)268-7020 or The Orchards at Concklin on Route 45 and South Mountain Road in Pomona (845)354-0369. Both offer apple picking through October and Concklin even has pears this month. Both also have pumpkins. Rockland Coaches (Red and Tan Lines) offers bus service from Port Authority on 42nd Street in the city. Go online for schedules. I know you will have to walk from the bus stop. Congers is served by the 9A or 9W run and Pomona is served by the 45, 45A and 45E.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 06:24 AM

I did a web search and found the following orchards in New Jersey which offer pick-your-own:

1. Terhune Orchards in Lawrenceville near Princeton lets you come a pick apples through the end of October. You can get to Princeton Junction by train from NYC in under an hour on Amtrak. I believe you would have to take a taxi from the station, but call the farm to ask. Either Amtrak to Princeton Junction ( $32 round trip for an adult) or New Jersey Transit to Princeton (some trains require a change in Rahway, trip is just over an hour, don?t know fare but certainly less than Amtrak). You can also take NJ Transit from Princeton Junction to Princeton if that is closer to the farm. Website for Amtrak is Amtrak.com, website for NJ Transit is njtransit.com

http://www.terhuneorchards.com/
609-924-2310

2. Riamede Farm in Chester, New Jersey.
122 Oakdale Rd, Chester 07930
908/879-5353

You can get to Gladstone (station nearest Chester) by train from Penn Station in about 2 hours on New Jersey Transit. Use the ?Itinerary Planner? on the NJ Transit website to get details. Call the farm for details about getting to the farm from Gladstone.

3. Windy Brow Farms
359 Ridge Road, Newton 07860
973/579-9657

You should be able to the Newton area by train via New Jersey Transit.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Have you considered renting a car for the day? I know it would be more expensive, but it should would make things easier for the day and give you a much wider choice of orchards.
I'd rent a car a drive up the Hudson Valley to Putnam or Duchess County where you'll have a wide range of choices.
Plus, you'll have the wonderful experience of viewing some magnificent foliage as you drive.