Reload this Page >

Apple Orchards-New York

Search

Apple Orchards-New York

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Lorraine

Apple Orchards-New York

Does anyone know of any farms for apple picking? I'm looking for a spot about 1-2 hours north of NYC for a day trip to pick apples.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Haley

New Paltz area has many

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:46 AM
r-travels

I live MUCH further north than you plan to do your picking, but suggest you try newspapers in the area you're looking to go. The newspapers in the Albany NY area are FULL of classifed and small display ads for "pick your own" during Sept & Oct. See if any newspapers (eg: Poughkeepsie) have their classifieds on-line.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:29 AM
annie

Lorraine,
I put "apple picking in Orange County, NY" in my search engine and came up with a few places including my favorite
Applewoods Orchards in Warwick, NY. It is about 1 and a half hours NW of NYC. Easy to find a great fun. www.applewoodorchards.com.
Directions and all the different kinds of apples available are listed on the site. Have fun!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:43 AM
nyer

Masker and Applewood in Warwick are near each other and quite close to NYC. However, they are very popular due to that closeness and can be very crowded on weekends, and look "picked out" by mid October (when they also start having Pumpkin "picking"--they cut the pumpkins and put them in a big field for kids to "pick")

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:44 AM
patty

There was a recent thread on this on a NYC parents board I visit. Someone mentioned this site: http://www.nyapplecountry.com/

We've picked apples at Outhouse Orchards (unfortunate name, I know) in Croton Falls, Westchester County - about an hour from NYC. It's off I-684, exit 8, on Hardscrabble Road and they have cider, doughnuts, hayrides, children's activities and a pumpkin patch (I think). There's another orchard called Salinger's in the town of Brewster, about a mile or 2 from Outhouse.

Another poster went to Dr. Davies Farm in Rockland County, about 15 minutes off the Palisades Center Mall exit of I87, last year. Their website is http://www.drdaviesfarm.com

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Lorraine

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:19 AM
cb

Montgomery Place has several kinds of apples and pears, raspberry, plus the historic mansion. If you're interested in this and you can't find a web site, I'll look for their phone number.
Apple picking in Dutchess county, example Meadowbrook Farms and Terhune Orchards, can be combined with visits to historic sites like Roosevelt house and Vanderbilt mansion.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:24 AM
gc

Lorraine,
Beak & Skiff, near Syracuse, is great, but a bit out of the way, I'm afraid. However,

http://www.nyapplecountry.com/pick.php

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Owen O'Neill

Best to call ahead and check this year - I heard rcently that the extremely dry summer had a profound impact on many of the Hudson Valley orchards - some had not fruit at all and others were 70-80% below normal volume. In the Syracuse area the crops will be about 20% below normal vlume but the apples are said to be coming in very sweet - one of the best crops in years (I am not so patiently waiting for Macouns to become available - an incredible apple that is not easy to find but worth the search).

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Howard

We went apple picking last weekend and were keenly disappointed. The owner of the orchard told us that, because of the bad weather in the spring--first too cold, then too warm, plus a disastrous hailstorm--this was the worst season for orchards in the lower Hudson Valley in at least 15 years. Pardon the pun, but there were lean pickins!
I heard similar stories from friends who'v been to other orchards.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:46 AM
upsy daisy

up for Jennifer

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:55 AM
ddd

Here is New York State's Website to search by fruit, veggie, County, or Region. It's very good.

http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AP/FFGSearch.asp

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:57 AM
cb

In case anyone else wants to pick apples, there are a few farms in Marlboro not far from route 9W that still has about 2 weekends left for apple picking. We had planned to go to Weed's, which was a little off of 9W but came upon another orchard (unfortunately can't remember the name). lots of apples like red and golden delicious, and they're good-sized ones. There are several signs on 9W north of Newburg.
Dutchess county, this year, has very little. First time in 45 years that Terhune farm does not have any fruit.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Owen O'Neill

I just tried the first Macoun's of the season from one of the Lafayette area orchards (just south of Syracuse). Wow!!! Macoun is planted in limited acreage and typically available only durinig October but this is an incredible year for them. The Mac's I've tried this far were good but no match for the Macoun.

The annual apple festival is this coming weekend for anyone who may be passing through the area - crowded but fun.

http://www.lafayetteapplefest.org/