Apostle Islands & Wisconsin Northwoods

Old May 27th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apostle Islands & Wisconsin Northwoods

My mother (age 82) and I are considering a trip to the Apostle Islands in late July. What advice can you give? What are the "must see" items? Can you recommend any tours? Any recommendations on lodging and/or restaurants?

If it's any help to you, we'll be driving up from the Chicago area (far northwest suburbs). Any route recommendations, or anything we should stop to see along the way?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Anybody?
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:04 PM

How long do you have for the trip? What sort of activities are you interested in?

Without knowing that it's tough to give any route recommendations or ideas on things to stop and see along the way. You could head up through Milwaukee and hit Door County then kind of skirt the Michigan/Wisconsin border, or go through Madison and visit Wisconsin Dells and go north, or even head further west and drive up along the Mississippi River to Minneapolis/St. Paul, then continue to Duluth and over to the Apostle Islands.

Those are 3 vastly different routes with a pretty big variety of things along the way. Give us an idea of what you find interesting and we can steer you in one direction or another.
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Oh, and as far as what to do once you get there: certainly I think you would spend some time walking around Bayfield and doing some shopping, plus take the ferry to Madeline Island and spend a day or so over there.

Look at this page and get some ideas as to what you might want to do: http://www.nps.gov/apis/planyourvisi...he-islands.htm

The National Park Service has an official concessionaire that does cruises, plus some other official partners that do tours and charters. That page has links to all of that info.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM

Seeing she is 82 you will be limited to what you might want to do - although I have traveled with some energetic 80 + years old.

In Bayfield I would highly recommend you stay at the Rittenhouse - an old style building -- great rooms - every one is different and partake in their dinner - it is excellent and she will enjoy it.

Also, I would recommend you take the boat tour of the Apostles -- they have several and they vary in length -- so you can get out on the large boats and see the islands, the caves, the lighthouses.

Recommend you visit the museums - their is one in Bayfield and another on Madeline Island -- and make sure you view the intro. film clips -- they are excellent.

Normally I would recommend on Madeline Island that you go out to the State Park and Town Park -- but it might be difficult for a older person - hiking. Also, you need transportation to get out their - car - it is about 6 miles.

Of course, the shops in Bayfield and the few on Madeline Island are excellent and have an abundance of crafts and unique items.

I almost forgot -- their is a ferry ride of about 2 miles that you take from Bayfield to Madeline -- she might enjoy that.

Have a wonderful trip - it is a beautiful area.
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:11 PM

We didn't find much to do there. We enjoyed the boat ride around the lighthouses. We took the ferry to Madeline Island but without our car (expensive) but there was hardly anything there in the harbor area. Nearly the whole boat got off and just sat there until it was time to take the boat back. We all looked around for shops or restaurants but there wasn't really anything. If you take your car over you might find more.
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:11 AM

Connie I beg to differ with you - and my response was trying to take in the fact that they are traveling with an 80 year old person.

Some things you can do:
Their is a great museum - film clip - many items go back to the 1600's -- fur trade - lumber - fishing - Madeline Island was one of the first outposts - and had a community on it long before Chicago - Milwaukee - Minneapolis - it is fun to look at the artifacts.

Bell Street Gallery is an excellent arts and craft gallery.

Indian burial grounds down by the Yacht Club and Golf Course.

Library - is a unique old school house.

Madeline Island Historical buildings just out of town.

And of course talking to the locals -- on why they love it so much - the children on the island - how it is to live on an island year round - their are about 300 people that live on the island year round. Listen to their stories.

If you are out on the island for the sunsets -- I think you will not see better sunsets anywhere in the world.

The island is a place to get away from the busy life - go back to simpler times - explore the past.

So Connie I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit - but I happen to love the island and it's way of life for all four seasons.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Connie, my mother is 82 years old and her mobility is limited. We're not into bar hopping or rousing night life. Sounds like this trip is something we'll really enjoy. Mother says she's very intrigued by Bayfield and the Apostle Islands, and has seen some write-ups in the Chicago Tribune. The boat tours sound wonderful, and the art galleries sound intriguing. Ronko-thanks for the ideas on things to do!

I've checked out lodging options. The Old Rittenhouse is already pretty well booked for when we'll be there-no surprise, given the many recommendations. The challenge will be to find a room with two beds on a ground floor so there are no (or at least very few) steps to navigate. I doubt many, if any, of these old inns have elevators. Nonetheless, I assembled a list of possibilities to discuss with Mother. Ashland is also an option, but I suspect Mother would rather stay in Bayfield.

Restaurant recommendations? We both love good food.

Despite the challenges finding suitable lodgin, I suspect we'll enjoy being in a town with no chain hotels/no chain restaurants!

Thank you for the recommendations!
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:30 AM

You might try over on Madeline Island - I would suggest the Inn on Madeline Island.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

A friend of mine often travels to the area-his mother was originally from Bayfield. He recommends the Bayfield Inn.