Travelling to Mackinac the Canada Way

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling to Mackinac the Canada Way

This summer we'll be making our annual trek from central Pennsylvania to northern Michigan to visit family, and the PA to Ohio Tpk, up 75 route has gotten really old. We're considering going up through Canada, through Tobermory, catching the ferry to Manitoulin Island, and then over to Mackinac. Can anyone comment re: travel time, easy of the ferry, etc.? All the internet map services tell me from Manitoulin Island to go up north, around through the Sault, and down to Mackinac Island (a 7 hr. trip) -- is there any way to drive over through Drummond Island, etc. to save some time? Keep in mind we'll be travelling with a 2 1/2 year old, so we're trying to weigh whether its worth turning the normal 12 hr trip into a 20 or more + hour trip (if I've figured right) over a couple of days. Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short of your own plane or boat, there is no short cut from Manitoulin to Mackinac.

Keith
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM
mtjt

Agreed, that there are no short cuts. But, Tobermory and the Bruce Peninsula are pretty nice and worth a stop of a day or two. Bruce National Park has some spectacular hiking trails along a high ridge of white limestone escarpment overlooking deep blue clear waters of Georgian Bay. Do you have a hiking packpack for the 2 1/2 year old? Tobermory is a quaint and picturesque little harbour town. Boat tours leave for nearby Flowerpot Island with stunning rock formations. However, to appreciate the Bruce Peninsula, you'd have to take the time to get off the main highway and explore a bit (although you could still enjoy an evening in Tobermory without doing that). Manitoulin is pretty, pastoral, quiet and off-the-beaten track. It's been a number of years since I did the drive from Manitoulin to the Sault, but I seem to remember it being pleasant enough. Potentially this trip could offer a true change of scenery, but you might want to add an extra day or so to make it "part" of the vacation and enjoy it a bit, otherwise it might seem like a marathon.