Reload this Page >

Madeline Island/Apostle Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:53 PM
kathy

Driving thru Bayfield, Wisconsin area this summer. Thinking about spending a couple days in the Apostle Island area (primarily Madeline Island). Traveling with 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 3 & 9). Worth the stop. Where to stay? Not finding much info online. Any info is helpful.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:28 AM
mntraveler

We have stayed in Bayfield at the Rittenhouse Inn, Apple Tree B&B and Greunkes. All are good but Greunks would be the best with kids, I think. Be careful in that area, or you will end up with a third child! I have a daughter named "Madeline" as the best souvenier ever from our first trip there! I have never stayed on Madeline Island but we took the ferry over there very easily. There is also a hotel in Bayfield thay my in-laws stayed in, had the name Seagull in it, can't remember the rest of the name, but they liked it.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:04 AM
mnalso

Yes, you might certainly end up with another child! There's sure nothing else to do in the area! ;-)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Dick B.

We live in WI and divide our time between our homes in Milw. area & Northern WI. We always try to spend a few days each summer in Bayfield and the Apostle Islands. There are numerous B&B's as well as small inns & motels. We trailer our boat to cruise the Apostles, but there are also public ferries that tour the islands where you can visit lighthouses, etc. The sightseeing is spectacular if you like water, woods, wildlife, etc. A night at the Big Top Chautauqua Tent Theater is great fun. Their shows are recorded and carried on public radio around the US. I think the best shows are the house productions, especially Take it to the Lake.

I've never stayed on Madeline Island, but it has a state park with beautiful sand beaches, hiking, etc. Many people like to vacation there. We usually stay at the Super 8 in Washburn because it is an easy place to park our boat & trailer and has a very good restaurant in connection. Washburn is only 12 miles from Bayfield.

There are many interesting restaurant options. A new place, Wild Rice, is said to be one of the finest in WI.

Here are some links which might be useful:http://www.bayfield.org/ http://www.wildricerestaurant.com/html/main.htm http://www.bigtop.org/

Enjoy Wisconsin!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:28 PM
J

I've travelled the world over, and Madeline Island is one of my favorite places. (It helps, of course, that my family has had a house there for 20 years so it's filled with fond family memories.) I would definitely stay on Madeline Island, not in Bayfield if you only have a few days. Madelineisland.com should have all the info you need to find a place to stay---or consider camping if that suits your family. Enjoy the hiking, beaches, swimming, sailing, and general relaxing. Be sure to pick some fresh raspberries!