Apartments in Washington Heights, NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My niece is a junior at the Bronx campus of Fordham. For her last year in college and in preparation for her working life after graduation, he would like to live in the city. Can someone who lives in NYC and who is also familiar with WH kindly share with me what the neighborhood is like? I know that it is a predominantly Latin community and that Alex Rodriguez was born there (go Yankees!) but other than that, I don't know anything about it.

Thanks much!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM

This might interest you;from yesterday's New York Times, about an area within WH:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/re...livi.html?_r=1
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks eksrunchy!! This article is a big help.

Can you please check this link below and let me know if these prices are for real? Are they worth looking into? They seem too "affordable" .

http://www.suburbancityrentals.com/w...n_heights.html

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM

It's actually Manny Ramirez who lived there in high school, but he was born in the Dominican.

Anyway, my good friend has lived in that neighborhood for about 5 years. She loves it, she has 2 small children now and has found lots of other young families and singles.

The prices on that link you posted do look incredibly low though. I believe she and her husband pay around $2300 for a big 2 bedrm.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM

My daughter has lived in this neighborhood for a few months now. She's about a block or two off Broadway, a few blocks up from the 168th St subway station.

She is in a large 3 bedroom unit on the top floor of a five story walkup. The unit is not fancy, but nice with wood floors, lots of windows, recently painted, good bathroom and new heating system. It is $2000 a month.

She also uses the work "domincan" to describe the neigborhood. She complains of the lack of vegetarian restaurants or regular priced supermarkets, but enjoys the people and finding unique food items in the little bodegas. It's also a long ride up from Midtown. After 3 years in the UWS, she says it seems safe enough and she loves being able to get her own room for $700 a month.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 03:15 AM

This is one of, if not the, principal brokers for the area; she does appear to rentals in that price range. Why not give her a call and ask some questions:

http://www.simonesong.com/index.php

I have no connection with this person but she is often quoted in real estate articles about the area.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM

For what it's worth, I used to date a guy who lived a few blocks from 181st Station and he had a studio (? not sure, it had one room and an equally sized kitchen (eat in) and a bathroom) that he paid $500/mo in 1998. It seemed very reasonable and the neighbourhood was very nice. I always felt safe there.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM

WH is a gentrifying neighborhood. Some areas are still somewhat gritty, some are more pleasant - but most of the buildings are older (which means basiccally good quality and roomy apartments). Many young people are moving here since it is one of the few areas in Manhattan tht is still relatively affordable. But - you need to be aware of where the subwayis and the streets between the apartment and the subway.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM

My D did a report on Lin-Manuel Miranda. We read something that says he no longer lives in the area because the rents went up so much that he might as well live in Manhattan.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM

It is cheaper because it is a further commute to midtown/downtown than (parts of) Brooklyn or Queens. It may be Manhattan, but it can be a long commute and a PIA for her to visit her friends living in other areas, because they won't be coming up there to hang out. The neighborhood itself tends to be fine, and rather middle class family, though there are exceptions to this.