Anza Borrego or Joshua Tree?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my DH and I have narrowed our choices to Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree for a short trip. We have some questions about the two parks:

1) We would like to camp and hike. We prefer campgrounds that are accessible to showers. Anyone have suggestions for campgrounds at either place? Do the campgrounds have running water, toilets, other facilities?

2) We'll be going March 26-29th. Which do you recommend for better views of wildflowers in bloom?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

i drove thru joshua tree during a cross country adventure.. i thought it was a waste of time would have rather gone to another park instead.. http://www.nps.gov/jotr/activities/camping/camping.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM

Living nearby should help me to remember things like this but I tend to take them for granted. I was thinking that the wildflower show is more into May and March would be a little early. So I found a link for the desert wildflower watch. http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html I prefer Joshua Tree for camping and hiking. Many European visitors come just to see JT. But they are both great if you enjoy the desert and the weather should be pretty nice for you. Enjoy!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the information - much appreciated.

anyone have information on specific camping sites at either park? from what i can find about joshua tree, none of the campgrounds have showers. do people just stay in hotels out there or stay for shorter camping trips there?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM

We prefer Anza Borrego. I think you are going to be too late for the blossoming of the cacti and the wildflowers, but it is still a good time.

You can camp, of course, and the campground looked attractive, but I have never done that, so don't know about showers. There are lovely hikes here....up Palm Canyon for one.

Why don't you do some googles on each park and see what you can find out from the parks people?

Usually, the peak for bloom in the desert is February/March. There is a website which is an update on the blooms each year. Sorry, I do not know it, but you can probably find that, as well, by some creative googling.

Can't help you with the shower question, but if you get the visitor's center websites on the parks you can find out, I am sure.

DO NOT miss the visitor's center at Anza Borrego. Amazing information.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:46 PM

We hiked AB with the kids during spring break three years ago. It may not have been peak time, but there were a LOT of flowering cacti. It was a great experience. Can't help with the camping information, but we did see a good number of camper trailers on the grounds.

Enjoy.