Search

Joshua Tree

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joshua Tree

Hi, I'm planning on visiting Joshua tree sometime in March. I need to know what is a good camping site there and attractions ( hikes, things to see, etc). Thanks again for replying with useful info.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM

I loved the Jumbo Rock area. If I went camping, I would camp there. There's a Ranger Station right outside the entrance to the park, so you can find useful info there... Be warned about getting to a trailhead on time. Some of those government Park Rangers weren't exactly "on time" if ya know what I mean. We wanted to go on a hike and found the gate was still locked an hour after the supposed opening time... And, when it's warm out, you want to hit the trailheads early, ya know? Other than that, we had a great time last year! I wish I remembered the name of the small natural foods cafe/store in town - but it shouldn't be hard to find - they made the BEST sandwiches for our hikes. Mmmm.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM

The last time we were in Joshua Tree, the trees were dying. In any event, the landscape is rather fantastic--desert and huge rocks here and thre.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM

where is joshua tree?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Joshua Tree National Park is where the Mojave and Colorado Deserts meet. The town of Joshuia Tree, CA is in San Bernardino County, just at the north-east edge of Joshua Tree Nat. Park, near 29 Palms.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM

We loved visiting Joshua Tree and our stay at the wonderful and funky 29 Palms Inn.
But it has to be one of the least known National Parks. We stopped at AAA in Los Angeles to get directions on how to get there, thinking they'd have the inside, instead of my just looking at a map. The girl who is the "route planner" had never heard of Joshua Tree and I had to point to it on a map for her. Then she studied the map a few minutes and finally said, "well, it looks to me like the best way might be. . ." Such a big help. NOT!

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Patrick: I hate to sound cynical, but I have had similar experiences with AAA people about more well-known destinations. They are not that knowledgeable or at least our local AAA people are not.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Patrick, we couldn't find joshua tree the first time and neither could *ONSTAR*, the only place they haven't been able to locate for us. Said they had no listing of it!? So we did what so many men hate, my dh included, we stopped at a gas station for directions.