Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anything happening in DC I should know about?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not politics. But we're going to be in Washington from October 6 to 9. Any interesting festivals, music, shows, etc. happening that weekend? I want to go see BODIES - The Exhibition which I missed when it was here in Toronto last year, but what else would you suggest?

I've seen all the monuments (have been to Washington several times) but I've always wanted to take a White House tour. Unfortunately, I don't think they're letting us 'aliens' in any more and I don't have a congressman to ask. Any tips?
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I think you can still go, have you checked this on at any official white house visitor sites?

It will still be nice weather down in October. Have you been to the National Native American addition to the smithsonian?

Have you done the rotundra in the capital? Need to be on line at 9am for this...maybe not so important if you from Canada.

I would also suggest a tour of the national gallery. If you just walked through and looked at paitings last time you will find this more meaningful and its only an hour. Have you done the Corcoran? (modern art if memory serves), what about dupont circle or Adams Morgan areas? ...dinner, dancing etc...
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Here are a few ideas for things to keep you busy.

Visit The National Cathedral.

Take the free docent-led tours at the National Gallery of Art, the National Portrait Gallery, the Library of Congress, and others

See a show at The Kennedy Center (free show at the Millenium Stage or another production).

See The Capitol Steps comedy troupe show Saturday night.

Visit Hillwood House and museum.
http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/

Stroll the gardens at Dumbarton Oaks

Take a day to see Mt Vernon.

Go to Great Falls Park.

Walk or bike the C&O Canal in Georgetown and above. (Its a great time of year for this.)

Go to a concert or film at the National Gallery of Art

Visit the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden and the U.S. Botanical Gardens

Check out what's going on at the National Geographic Association's headquarters. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ng...ndc/index.html

Check out the City Paper to see the theater shows and concerts that are in town
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:30 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions, thanks! We've done a number of things on your lists but I've never thought about taking an official tour of a gallery. I've check out a few online listings but I'll definitely look at the events newspaper.

The official White House website says I have to contact my Congressman re a tour and it says nothing about foreign visitors.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:41 AM
HKP

The "Bodies" exhibition has been in Durham for a while and caused a small uproar. I didn't know (until it made the press) that the bodies are all real cadavers brought here from China under uncertain circumstances. Some people found that objectionable. Others rave about what they learned.

Re: White House Tour... see if your hotel (are you staying at a hotel?) can give you any help -- or possibly the US consulate in Toronto.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:43 AM
HKP

... or the Canadian Embassy in DC might be able to help.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Those are two excellent ideas about the White House tour. Yes, we are staying at a hotel, I just don't know which one yet. And I'll try the Canadian embassy too.

I understand the Bodies exhibition was quite controversial when it was here too. My friend who's an artist got permission to go in and draw -- I'm sure it was an incredible learning experience for her. I've done years of life drawing myself and the idea of actually seeing the muscles under the skin is fascinating to me. I don't even want to think too much about where those bodies came from, given what we're hearing about China lately.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I just read an article in today's Washington Post about a new exhibit at the International Spy Museum called "Operation Spy". Here is how it is described, "...an interactive experience in which participants get to pretend they're spies for the U.S. government, traveling through and under the back streets of a fictitious city, trying to find a missing nuclear device." Unfortunately, it's a bit pricey ($16 for admission to the museum plus $8 more for this exhibit or $14 if you skip the museum and do just "Operation Spy".) The International Spy Museum is supposed to be really neat just by itself and this new exhibit sounds especially neat.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
dmlove

The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden is my very favorite "museum".

http://www.nga.gov/feature/sculpture...ure/index.shtm

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM

hdm why not call the 24hr info line

Phone: 202/208-1631; 202/456-7041 24-hr information line
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM

I second Great Falls Park! We were just there and loved hiking through the park and looking at the Falls. It is a great "off the beaten track" daytrip from Washington, D.C.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
hdm
Original Poster

I just emailed my embassy in Washington. Wow, I've never done that before and now I feel my name is on a LIST of some sort and my life will be scrutinized.

I'll try the 24 hour line (that's for the White House, right?)

I must say that reading all your excellent suggestions, I feel quite proud that we've visited many of these sights and sites. Of course, we have wonderful friends there who take us to all the best places.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM

If you have a car, take a trip to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport (Air & Space Museum Annex). It is absolutely outstanding. They have the Space Shuttle Enterprise on display in addition to numerous spacecrafts and aircrafts. It's like taking a walk through history. We loved it!

Have a great trip, hdm.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM

The Washington Redskins football team will be playing at home on Sunday the 7th (vs Detroit Lions).

The Washington Capitals hockey team is playing Carolina on the 6th.