Off the beaten path in DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Hyatt points, my sweetie and I have a free room in Washington DC for a weekend in Sept. We've both been to DC several times before, so we've seen most of the major monuments and museums. We're looking for any sites that might be a little more off the beaten path and interesting for 2 adults. I've heard the Spy Museum is interesting, but wasn't sure if that was more for kids. Any other suggestions?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM

The Spy Museum is fun for all ages.

Two of my favorites are the Building Museum (take the guided tour, it's an amazing building, and their gift shop is excellent) and the Folger Shakespeare Library (check the schedule for performances and special exhibits).
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM

BTW, there's a new interactive exhibit at the International Spy Museum called "Operation Spy". I haven't been but it got a good review recently in the Washington Post. Note, however, that there is an extra fee for it. More info on their website.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Don't know if you are into art/photography, but there is an Ansel Adams exhibit at The Corcoran Art Museum.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:32 AM

Moongirl once wrote a great reply to a question similiar to yours. I'm taking the liberty of copying and posting her response:

"-- The "not as popular" museums -- There are so many museums in Washington that very few people will ever see them all. Even if you think you have already "done" the Mall, look again at your map--have you been to the Freer Gallery? The Library of Congress? (the guided tour of the latter is particularly informative). Then there are the museums that are actually quite close to the Mall, but just far enough away that they land on fewer itineraries: the National Building Museum, the American Textile Museum, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, and the Phillips Collection could all be put in this category. The Anacostia Community Museum and Udvar-Hazy Annex of the Air & Space museum are both part of the Smithsonian but located outside the downtown area. Then there are a number of museum/garden combinations in what used to be the private residences of some of Washington's famous and or wealthy citizens: Dubarton Oaks, Hillwood Museum and Gardens, and the Woodrow Wilson House are a few that come to mind.

--Outdoor spaces: U.S. Botanic Gardens (small gem right on the Mall, but often overlooked); U.S. Arboretum (much bigger space, check the website to see what will be in bloom during your visit--you might be there during azalea time); Rock Creek park for hiking, biking or horseback riding; East Potomac Park to see cherry blossoms (if the time is right) in a setting less crowded than the tidal basin. For the sake of completeness, I will also mention Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in this category, though you will be there too early to see their famous waterlilies in bloom.

-- Explore one or more of DC's residential neighborhoods: there are self-guided "Neighborhood Heritage Trails" that can help you do this here: http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/inf...nformation.htm The Historic Preservation Office has developed some beautiful brochures about the city's various historic districts that you could use to supplement the walking tour information, or use to decide which neighborhood you might enjoy: http://planning.dc.gov/planning/cwp/...av,|33515|.asp
You can also look for neighborhood activies such as the First Friday receptions held at Dupont Circle art galleries, or Eastern Market, where you will found an outdoor food/craft/flea market on Capitol Hill on Saturdays and Sundays.

-- Step back and get a sense of the geography: soemtimes you have to leave the city in order to appreciate its geographic position at the confluence of the Potomac and Anacostia rivers. Crossing, or going out on one of the rivers, is often the best way to do this. In the former category, the LBJ Memorial Grove, Roosevelt Island, Great Falls Park (VA), and a restaurant in Alexandria called Indigo Landing (near National Airport) all offer interesting vantage points, as well as opportunities for walking and biking. In the latter category, there are various types of boat cruises -- big and small, plain and fancy --to be taken leaving from the Southwest waterfront as well as Georgetown. Some will do a simple round trip, and some will take you to Alexandria, VA. One of the longest, but most interesting if you have time, will take you all the way to Mt. Vernon.

--Attend a cultural performance -- There are a number of performance venues in Washington that are historic in their own right, and give a feel for different aspects of D.C. culture: Ford's Theater, the Lincoln Theater, and the Kennedy Center come to mind in this regard. Note that the Kennedy Center Millenium Stage has a free concert of some sort every evening at 6:00 p.m. There are also a number of musical concerts of all types in other venues unique to DC, ranging from free of charge to minimal charge to full charge. The National Gallery, the Library of Congress, the Museum of Natural History, the Hirschhorn, Phillips, and Corcoran galleries, among others, have regularly scheduled concert series, you'll have to check to see what's going in April. The Corcoran often has a Sunday gospel music brunch as well -- call for the schedule. The National Cathedral, the Church of the Ephiphany (downtown on the 1300 block of G Street NW), and many foreign embassies also offer concerts on a regular basis. Blues Alley is a smoke-free jazz club in Georgetown worht checking out. In addition to the websites of the various venues, two good places to find such performance information collected in one place are the Washington City paper (a free weekly that comes out on Thursdays, and also has website: washingtoncitypaper.com) and the website dcist.com.

Good luck and enjoy!"
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:46 AM

How was your trip to Canada, Msteacher?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Have you done the Renwick Gallery right across from the White House? It's one of my favorite museums in DC, and I think it gets overlooked a lot.

there's also the Marjorie Meriwether Post house, but you should check and see if it still has its amazing collection of Faberge eggs. The gardens are also beautiful.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Sallygirl42

MMP house is I think part of the Hillwood Gardens, which are supposed to be excellent:

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/

The building that housed the Eastern Market food market was badly damaged by fire several months ago, so I'm not sure if the outdoor market is still functioning.

You might check into the Georgetown French flea market as well, I am not sure if it is still being held at Courthouse in Arlington or if it is back in DC.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM

There is now an alternate site for the DC Eastern Food Market, but I think I recall, only the interior portion is functional.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM

There is a temporary tent now (air conditioned) for the Eastern Market food hall vendors while the building is being renovated. It's on site. The outdoor fruit and veg vendors are still in their regular spots outside the building, and the flea/craft/antiques/junk market continues without interruption.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Cross the river and visit Arlington National Cemetery, Not exactly off the beaten path but well worth your time.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM

The FDR Memorial is beautiful and peaceful. Not really "off the beaten path" per se but since it's not along the Mall I don't think it gets nearly as much traffic as the other memorials do.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Spy museum is great and is not just for kids. I have taken out of towners there four times and everyone loved it.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Hillwood definitely DOES have those eggs as well as icons and other things MMP picked up when the newly-formed Soviet government was desperate to raise hard cash.

You can also see samples of her 33 sets of china, the gardens, the Russian dacha replica, etc., etc.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If you're into art, the Edward Hopper exhibit is at the National Gallery of Art http://www.nga.gov/. Not sure if you will have a car, but another great museum is a private one, the Kreeger on Foxhall Rd. The house itself is fascintating and s great collection of art. You would need a car or a taxi to get there. http://www.kreegermuseum.org/
As mentioned Eastern Market is in full swing again and always fun to visit.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. We'll definitely visit the spy museum, and I'm now researching some of these other suggestions to put together our itinerary.

Devonmcj, thanks for reposting the great tips from Moongirl, and also for asking about my trip to Canada. It was fabulous! I've been meaning to write a thorough trip report but never seem to have the time. In short, Banff and Jasper are both amazing. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM

Maine Ave in SW DC has a great watefront market. No sit-down service (you can sit on a curb,) but a great seafood selection, both fresh and prepared....
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM

Another recommendation for Hillwood which is fascinating and in a beautiful location off the beaten path.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
emd

Have you goen to Mt. Vernon lately? It has been greatly expanded w/a new theater and lots of new indoor spaces, an interactive outdoor area (almost like Jamestown), etc. And if you have a car you can go to the nearby girstmill of George Washington's while he lived at Mt. Vernon. And then stop for dinner in Old Town, Aleaxndria on the way back to D.C. All very near by...