Anyone stayed at the Alpen Hutte?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Kat

Hello--
Has anyone ever stayed at the ALpen Hutte hostel in Silverthorne? It sounds pretty cool and is reasonably priced. I am planning a Christmas in CO w/son in grad school (24). We are interested is snow activities, but are not skiiers--really just want to be outdoors and have fun trying some new things. Summit Co. seems to have alot of options and we are trying to find some reasonably priced accomadations. Any ideas or comments on Alpen Hutte? Thanks!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
coskier

Hi Kat, have heard good things about alpen hutte, other place I have heard good things about is http://www.hostels.com/justbunks/index.html

I stayed YEARS ago at the Fireside Inn in Breckenridge and had a great time but recently have heard not great things. http://firesideinn.com/
I think that someone on this board stayed there recently maybe they will respond with a report

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Breckboy

STAY AWAY from the Fireside. The owner, Andy, is a stuffy, cranky, sob who used to work in some capacity with anti-drug enforcement in England. I think he is anti-everything.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:23 PM
coskier

thats to bad BreckBoy. It was a great place, but like I said have not heard good things recently, mainly that it is dirty. Maybe Andy is anti clean?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM
charles

Yes, several times.

Typical bare bones hostel type place. It is the cheapest place to stay in summit county by far. Imagine a 1960s chalet that hasn't been updated at all. Basically, the housing is not quite up to motel 6 standards. This doesn't bother me - but if you have high standards it may bother you.

You basically get what you pay for. And all I use a room for in that circumstance is sleeping at night, so all I needed was a bed that wasn't unbearable.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
coskier

Kat check out
http://www.woodsinnbandb.com/index.htm
they have bunk rooms and the location, Frisco, is better than the Alpen Hutte.

If you go to any of the suggestions listed on this post, please post a report. Have been asked many times for ideas on inexpensive lodging.