Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone have '2002' recommendations for Waikiki restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:29 PM
WandaLust

Well, they're sending my husband to Honolulu on business the week of my 50th now instead of Orlando (I can live with that!)...Orlando this fall and thanks for the previous info!
Can anyone recommend a recent experience with a nice restaurant in Waikiki appropriate for a 50th birthday? Good seafood would be my pick, John Dominis e.g. Not interested in 'the most expensive see-and-be-seen'... expensive is o.k., but has to warrant the price in quality of food. Thanks!

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Ross

Best restaurants on Oahu are outside Waikiki. Nice sunset veiw at Michels on the diamond head side. A lot of what there is to eat in Waikiki is expensive and not well prepared.

Some like Keo's (thai) but coming from NYC I am not impressed at all and think that many only like this place if they have never had thai food.

Head to China Town for Legend's seafood, Roy's Hawaii Hawaii Kai, Alan Wong's, Sam Choy's, Ono's, Kincaides and others in Ward Warehouse, 3666 on the rise Kaimuki, all out side of Waikiki and only to name a few. If you have kids eat at the Oceanarium in Waikiki. If you like French La Mer at the Halikulani. I can imagine that the hotel restaurants are fine but I don't know them to be properties that pull professionals in that live on the island. As a rule leave Waikiki when you can for natural beauty, shopping, eating IMHO.

I like strolling on that large stretch of land during the morning, people watching at night, sitting on the veranda at the Sheraton Moana. Beyond that not my favorite place on Oahu.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Lenore

We ate at Nick's Fish Market in Waikiki last month during our first ever trip to Hawaii. The food was absolutely delicious (the best lobster tails we've ever tasted) and the service was equally impressive. They even sent us a thank you card, which arrived a day or two after we got home. The atmosphere is just okay and it does not have sunset views, but the meal and service more than made up for that. Even though it's quite pricey, we thought it was worth it. It was our favorite meal of the whole trip.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Ross

Nick's is suppose to be fab never been.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:23 AM
alex

Ross wording regarding Keo's is part of the reason people view New Yorkers as arrogant, know-it-all. Ross, what does being from NY have to do with it? There are good Thai outside on NY. In fact, most of the Thai restaurants are marginal.

I'm also from NYC and HAVE been to Thailand. I think Keo's was actually pretty good. I don't think you would want to celebrate your 50th Birthday there, but it would be a nice choice on another evening.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:51 AM
michele

Wandalust (love it),
I'd recommend Michel's for a special event. Beautiful setting AND very good food.(My sister was there last week. Had grilled salmon in a cabernet sauce, friend had rack of lamb) It has an old-fashioned relaxed formality about it.

M.

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:38 AM
WandaLust

Thanks Ross, Lenore, Michele and Alex!
Great input, and I'm going to go for Michael's, if I can get rsvps today. Will try some of the others after the birthday as well!
Wanda

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:38 AM
helen

If you love seafood it is hard to beat Todai's for selection and freshness. It is a popular spot. Todai's can seat several hundred people at a time, yet waits to be seated are sometimes up to an hour. You may find a better ambience at another restaurant - people go to Todai's for the food not the ambience - but it may be worth a stop sometime during your week in Honolulu.