Anyone else going to NYC for Xmas-New Years??

Nov 16th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Tina

Anyone else going to NYC for Xmas-New Years??

This will be the 4th time in the past 11 years that we've spent New Years in NYC and getting excited already! We'll be there Dec. 30-Jan 2. There is nothing more fun and exhilarating!! The city is so spectacular during the holiday season! We're ready to shop, walk, eat great food, people watch and see several sold out plays (Hairspray and Movin'Out). I'm already starting my count down! Anyone else going?

Nov 16th, 2002, 10:29 AM
sss

No. No one else will be visiting the city that week.

Nov 16th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Kelly

Tina, yes...we will be there the same time you are. This will be our first time there during the holidays. We're staying at the Sheraton Towers and really looking forward to a get away. This will be our first real vacation in 3 years. We've got tickets to see Michael Crawford play for Jan. 1st. Like you, I wish I could leave tomorrow. We're flying out of Long Beach CA on Jet Blue (another first).

Nov 16th, 2002, 10:41 AM
monique

I go the first week in December. Also renting a car and driving to DC. Can't wait!

Nov 16th, 2002, 03:36 PM
manne

We're going Dec. 25-29. This is a college graduation present for our daughter-graduating Dec. 13. We have all been before but never at Christmas and never all four of us together. I read everyone's messages everyday. Thank you.

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Carol

We too will be there. We arrive the day after Christmas and leave a few days after New Years. We didn't know what to do New Years (see my post about food), got tickets to the only show that's playing that night, Proof, that we wanted to see. I even had the fantasy of having everyone from this Fodors list meet for drinks of something on New Years since we won't be with huge numbers of family or friends, but then decided it wouldn't really work. But I'll think about all of you!

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:11 PM
MeToo

Me me me me me! I'll be there also, December 23-Jan 2.

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Me

Forgot to mention, shipping the Christmas gifts to the hotel, puting up a tree in the room.

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Marcia

We'll be there Dec. 28-Jan2. We're so excited but need to find some warm clothes. It was 82 today in LA and I was at the Mall shopping for warm clothing! I'm looking forward to getting far away from my 50 hr. week job and welcoming cool weather! Fodors has been my best salvation the past few months with a hectic work schedule. We're trying to get tickets for Hairspray (I prefer musicals), lucked into tickets to see Man of La Mancha on NY eve which should be fun. I hope I find a coat soon...will be resorting to ebay soon since the Malls have none!! I'll be thinking of all of you too! Marcia

Nov 16th, 2002, 11:03 PM
tweedy

New Year's Eve there is a wonderful FREE concert at St. John the Divine, called the Concert for Peace. There is a full orchestra and chorus, hosted by a well known CBS celebrity and each year there are performances by broadway stars. Last year Judy Collins sang and she was wonderful.

IF you are looking for something wonderful for an early New Year's Eve, I think the concert is over by 9pm. I am one of the singers and we usually head out to dinner after. This year there is a party at our apartment.

Please come to the concert if you have the time, it is a wonderful program and the cathedral is one of the largest in the world so the accoustics are amazing.

At the end of the concert everyone gets a candle and we all sing together, a memorable evening.

tweedy

Nov 17th, 2002, 02:41 PM
uptothetop

to the top

Nov 17th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Nancy

Thanks Tweedy for the invite! It sounds good! We'll be in NYC from Dec. 29-Jan 2. Looking forward to Times Square for sure!

Nov 19th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Amanda

Hi all! Yep we have got a large gang going over from Ireland from the 21st Dec to the 3rd Jan. I was actually a bit concerned about the logistics of seeing the ball drop in Times Sqaure on New Years Eve. Does anyone have any tips on how early to get there, what do you do about food/drinks, bathroom facilities etc...

Nov 19th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Owen O'Neill

The logistics of seeing the ball drop can be daunting. I've been close by but have not actually seen it. I do know that it's absolutely mobbed and in order to get a good spot you should be able to hold out for many hours without needing a bathroom. There may be port-a-potties here and there but not in the central location and if there were, it still gets too crowded to move from ytour spot. Some people line up in the morning to save spots btu if you get there by late afternoon you should be able to get a spot further up 7th or Broadway that still has a line of sight to the ball (just not as close). If you're further up ytou can likely still nudge in and out to and from your spot to bathrooms or food until 8 PMP or so - after that forget about it. Starting at about 6 PM or shortly after, all the side streets and avenues leading to the ball drop location are closed off by police barricade to all folks except those who have work ID or a hotel key to verify that they are workign or staying within that area. if you do arrive later you can still get in somwehere but it requires walking uptown to around the low 50's, across and then back down 7th or Broadway as far as you can maneuver. Two winters ago I stayed overnight at the Paramount (my GF at the time worked there so it was a free room). We went out at 11:45 and walked over 46th towards 7th. We could not get close enough to see the ball but the atmosphere is incredible - you can actually really feel the wave of physical energy in the air from the hollering and the noisemakers. I wouldn't repeat it every year but it's really worth doing - a once-in-a-lifetime experience unlike any other.

Nov 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
maggie

This will be my 3rd trip for New Years in NYC and I LOVE IT! No place like New York City for New Years (we come up from Florida). Maggie

Nov 20th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Amanda

Thanks for the advice Owen! It's good to get pysched up for these things, especially if they are gonna get a bit challenging! We were in in Edinburgh for Hogmanny last year and although great fun it was hectic, so it's great to get a 'heads up' on the NYC action.