Anyone been to Destin lately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If so -- can you comment on beaches/crowds/etc. , and current construction areas (we heard recently that there is some going on near Edgewater Condos -- wherever that is!)

Also -- which part of the beach is most desireable? Crystal beach? Mirarmar? Holiday Isle?

thanks for any insight !
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:48 AM

Destin is a rapidly going area, so expect that there is going to be construction pretty much everywhere near the gulf. That said, it's not distracting and shouldn't effect you visit.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:58 AM

Hi Eltrain,

We were there 2 years ago and spent a week on the beach in Destin at the Surfide. We live in Colorado and LOVE the ocean! We lived for a short time in Pensacola about 6.5 years ago so are familiar with the area.

The water doesn't get any prettier! The people are friendly, great beaches, activities and restaurants. The harbor is a treat in itself!

We were also visiting family nearby and had a very nice time.

We just found 6 years ago that as a place to live; we don't like the climate, the roaches or the rednecks! But we love to visit the ocean and occasionally family

You'll have a great time. Also check out the Red Bar in Grayton Beach south of Destin, great time.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:02 AM

I forgot to mention the best part. We were there from August 23rd or so through the first few days in September. The crowds were gone, the rates were cheaper and I personally like having the beach pretty much to ourselves.

When are you planning to go? BTW, I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Edgewater Condos, but I'm sure they are nice.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies!

Rosemary, we're actually staying at Sterling Shores -- which, from my understanding, is more or less next door to Edgewater. An aquaintance who recently returned gave me this news, and it was a little dissapointing - so much so that I've been trying to locate another place to stay. Almost everything is booked -- but I did find a couple of places -- one is on "Crystal Beach" while the other is on "Miramar." I just can't seem to find that much info on the area, other than the usual promotional garbage. I wish I knew which was better and maybe a wee bit less crowded. I've done a site search, and weirdly enough, haven't found any info that is real specific.

We're looking forward to it anyway -- !
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:16 PM

I'm real funny about booking something without seeing any pictures. I've been disappointed before and told we had an ocean view and didn't, etc. problems at check-in. So now, I call, email, view pics, etc. before I book anything.

After I get most everything documented I book it and confirm by email/phone any particulars that concern me.

I'm pretty anal about my vacations and I research them to death before I go, that's half the fun IMHO.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:43 AM

"We just found 6 years ago that as a place to live; we don't like the climate, the roaches or the rednecks! But we love to visit the ocean and occasionally family "

Rosemary,

As a denizen of the Redneck Riviera myself, I choose to take only the slightest offense at your remarks. Climate and bugs are one thing, but rednecks...been to Salida lately???

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Salida? Now, why would I do that?

No, I certainly meant no offence in my remark.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:45 AM

We have been to Destin for Spring Break last two years. Stayed at Sandestin this year and Emerald Dunes condo last year. Sandestin is the far east side of Destin, near the outlet shops. Emerald Dunes was on Scenic Hwy 98 very near the new shopping center. We rented both places on VRBO.com. I didn't notice any construction at either location. Traffic is usually quite heavy on the main streets and highways when we've been there. As far as areas, I'm not that familiar with where they are. I think the Emerald Dunes is in Crystal Beach area, but not certain. Maybe one of the rental websites, like Dale Petersens, would give a map to show the various properties and their locations.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

I know what you mean, Rosemary -- about researching vacations, etc. I think that's why I'm so anxious -- normally I research everything to death -- this is the first time I've sort of just relied on someone else's recommendations about a resort and booked it without knowing too much about the area in general. Risky -- because what works for some people may not work for others --

Does anyone have any specific info about the Destin area and the general location of everything? Fodor's needs a guidebook on this area, for sure!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Paige --

Just saw your reply -- which area did you prefer and why?

I've heard Emerald Dunes is nice - and I think it is close to one of the properties we are considering. (Crystal Dunes condos.) Did you like this part of the beach?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Eltrain, try destinfl.com, there's info there that we used when we booked our trip. Like I said it's been 2 years and I'm a little schetchy about the details.

Also, Paige mentioned VRBO.com, which I was trying to think of. They're wonderful. It's vacation rentals by owner.

I wish I'd saved our brochure, from our trip, it seems I ordered I catalog from Destin and picked our property from there. Then went online.

I'll see if I can find it, and I'll get back to you.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:04 AM

As far as the beach goes, there was very little difference in the two areas. I suppose the Sandestin area was more crowded due to the concentration of accomodations in the resort. The Emerald Dunes was a good location for getting to other things like restaurants, etc. I actually think the walk from Emerald Dunes to the new shopping mall wouldn't be too bad - but then I'm a big walker and prefer it when an option over getting in the car. The Sandestin area, however, has it's own shopping and restaurants so you don't really have to leave the "resort". I thought the prices in the Sandestin shops and restaurants were rather high.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM

We spent spring break (april) in destin. Click on my screen name to find my trip report.

If i recall correctly, all the beaches you mentioned run into each other. We stayed in the crystal beach area with lots of upscale condos and a few restaurants within walking distance. You have to drive a bit inland to find shopping and there aren't too many tee shirt shops in sight! Yes there is construction every so often but its not disruptive. We loved it there and will return.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Eltrain, I found some more info. We booked our place which was the Surfside Inn through Abbott Resorts.

Hope this helps.

www.abbott-resorts.com/pccl

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:12 PM

I can highly recommend Abbot Realty properties.
My husband and I are going to Seagrove Beach in July. We always stay at the same place, rented thru Abbot Realty.
I have never seen their website, we get a booklet in the mail every year.
It shows photos of the actual place, so there are no surprises.
I would assume their website would be just as informative.
It's a lovely area, georgous water, laid back atmosphere.
Have fun.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks again for the links and replies --

I think I wasn't clear about our plans. We have a condo rented through Abbott. It's at the Sterling Shores and is suppossedly platinum rated. I guess my big problem is that I haven't SEEN the room! Abbot shows only 1 room on their web site -- who knows what we'll end up with. It's why I'm second-guessing my choice and wondering if maybe we would be better off staying at another property that I could at least get a visual on! My hubby thinks I'm stressing too much -- but I want everything to be wonderful, and I'm worried it won't be!

Another big ? -- what about restaurants? Can anyone recommend good food besides the Back Porch, Fuddpuckers, etc.? Would like to avoid those 2-hour waits if possible!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

ellen_griswold -

Just found your trip report -- lots of good info there -- thanks!

Did I read correctly that you stayed in another town - "Gulf View" or Gulf Breeze -- outside of Destin? Or was this the name of your condo?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Hi eltrain, we stayed right in destin. The condo name was Gulfview.

We never had to wait more than 10 minutes max at Back Porch, Fuddpuckers(either location) or anywhere because we always arrive between 6 - 630. I hate to spend my evenings waiting in line somewhere and much prefer having that time in the evening to shop etc.

Have fun!