Plopping on a beach chair- help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I want to take our last "couples" vacation before baby arrives. We want to head to Fl, during the last part of May. I've read through almost all post on here regarding Florida beaches.

We are a basically beach loving couple. We wake in the morning and want to walk from our room to our beach chairs, plop down, and read books, swim in the ocean and lazily go to casual dinners in the evening. We don't require much more than a good beach, soft sand, pretty water. If there were some interesting shops close, that would be a bonus if I could drag him away from the chair. A hotel on the beach and or an ocean view would be the icing on the cake.

Based on reports here, I've narrowed it down to these areas.

Marco Island/Sanibel
Naples
Melbourne

Do ya'll have some more advice that could help me really make up my mind before I go crazy.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Your description of your mode of operation reminded me very much of a vacation that we took two years ago at Cocoa Beach, which is just north of Melbourne. We found the kinds of places to have dinner that you're describing and we were pleasantly surprised by several. The beach was very nice and we felt the costs were pretty reasonable in that area, too. The area has some things to do and places to shop, but it doesn't seem quite as overbuilt as some beach destinations we've visited.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:19 PM

Sanibel is wonderful. So laid back and beautiful. A great place to park yourself on the beach and read a good book. There are some interesting shops and great laid back restaurants with fresh seafood everywhere. Captiva is wonderful, also, but I think the hotels and condos are more limited. I have to Melbourne and I enjoy the Atlantic just as much as the Gulf. It's very laid back, as well, but doesn't have the beauty of Sanibel. I've only spent a day in Naples, mostly on a day shopping trip from Sanibel. The beaches are definitely beautiful there. Based on your needs and wants (and thinking about where I would want to beach it while pregnant), I'm definitely suggesting Sanibel. Have fun no matter what you decide!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Hello again. I just wanted to suggest you check out www.sanibel-captiva.org. The site has tons of information about the area. Also, FYI, Sanibel has no high rises, no billboards, chain restaurants, miniature golf, stop lights, etc. It is totally "old Florida." I'm leaving for there in a week and I think I'm getting way too carried away.......
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:39 PM

I agree with Cocoa Beach. I was there last year and it is a quaint place.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:07 PM

It's very basic but Wright-by-the-Sea on Delray Beach may just do it for you! Fly to Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm. Ask for 2nd Floor Deluxe Oceanfront 1 BR unit. Go to sleep & wake up to the sound of the surf! Walk out your door, down the stairs, turn left to the beach... but be careful... in the morning it is slippery on the stairs from dew and/or lawn sprinklers...be very careful.
Buy your own beach chairs/loungers from nearby Publix b/c theirs aren't great!
Have fun!
PS It may still be "Turtle Hatching Season" when you are there...can't remember when it ends...we were usually there early May.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Vero Beach, about an hour south of Melbourne, would fit your description.
There are great restaurants and many nice boutiques/shops right across the street from the beach. Cocoa seemed to cater more toward the surfing crowd when I was there last year.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:53 PM

Are you totally committed to Florida? Every Caribbean Island trip I have taken has been less expensive than the beaches in Florida would have been. And there are some incredible places to go down there.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:11 AM

I'm guessing the Gulf Coast will be slightly more to your liking than the Atlantic Coast -- softer sand, somewhat prettier water.

I think you want either Sanibel/Captiva or Longboat Key in Sarasota.

Congrats on baby and congrats on being smart to take that last "couples" vacation for about 20 years and even then, it's not the same because you still either miss them or worry about them. You'll always remember this trip, so treat yourselves well!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Hello, We just returned from a wonderful trip to Naples. We stayed at the Hotel Escalante. It was outstanding. Get the suite...Beautiful pool and the beach is right their. The Hotel will set the chairs up for you. So many Great restaurants and shopping right outside your Hotel door. You do not need a car!
Many beautiful Baby clothes..And the above post is right, this will be your last worry free trip ever....Spoil yourselves! Have a safe trip, Kris
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:17 AM

I think your wish for soft sand rules out Sanibel and most of Captiva. Shells rule the beach at Sanibel. Beach renourishment has deposited rather course sand on Captiva. Prettiest sandy beaches are a little north on the Gulf side. Try Long Boat Key and St. Petersburg. Long Boat is close to St. Armands with lots of good restaurants. St. Petersburg Beach has some nice resorts. Have fun and enjoy the quiet. LMF
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Sanibel & Captiva are the greatest. We love visiting them.We are going back in early May. Captiva is the US island that seems like the Carribean(tropical, turquoise water, quiet, soothing).(Beautiful sunsets at the Mucky Duck ,along with good food). Sanibel- best for shells(world known for it's shells), lots of dolphins in the surf,greats shops, fresh fish & seafood restaurants,nice beach.We also go to the beach at Fort Myers, a short drive for a different view(more touristy-shops, bars,parasailing, jet skis, etc. But, a nice beach. The 2 islands are the best. Take care & have fun.