Any last minute tips for Hawaiian honeymoon?

Jul 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Any last minute tips for Hawaiian honeymoon?

Hi everyone!
I am so excited, Hawaii is almost here My fiance and I leave next Saturday morning (the 7th) for our 2 week honeymoon! Neither of us has ever been.

We are staying in:
Oahu - 2 nights (Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach)
Big Island - 4 nights (Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel)
Maui - 7 nights (Hyatt)

We plan to visit Pearl Harbor, VNP, Waipaio Valley, black sand beach on BI, Road to Hana, a Pacific Whale snorkel cruise, a lot of short snorkeling, sightseeing, eating out, and just laying on the beach and poolside!

Any last minute hotel tips, restaurant recommendations, or "must-see's"? I planned a great deal of this trip using these boards, so thank you! I promise an extensive trip report when I return
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Yes, make lots of time to relax and just enjoy yourself!
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:19 PM

I would add the drive to the top of Haleakala Crater on Maui if you are interested... You will have a fantastic time in Hawaii!
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Just one suggestion; Make your arrangements to tour Pearl harbor as quickly as you can. We waited till the last minute and ended up not getting to see it.
Enjoy!
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I would certainly go to Volcano NP particularly if the Lava is flowing, which it has been lately. Since you are at the black sand beach, you are most of the way there already.

We also did a sunset and stargazing trip to the top of Manua Kea, and that was one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. (You need to rent a 4X4 for that.

Kayak on Kaleakua Bay on the BI, fairly early in the AM, very likely you will be rewarded with a wonderful wild dolphin show. Follow the advice of the kayak rental guys, just sit an wait the dolphins will find you. We were there a couple of weeks ago and they were jumping all around our kayak.

Snorkel Honolua bay on Maui, you can kayak there also from DT Fleming beach park. Worth it to avoid the rocky shoreline and parking congestion at Honolua Bay itself.

Buy the Road to Hana narration CD at the Shell station where the road begins. Makes the drive much more interesting. We took the "Forbidden" road back (twice we've done it) and it makes for a much nicer return trip.
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:49 PM

If you just want a cheap, romantic way to relax, grab a box lunch somewhere and watch the sun set from Magic Island at Ala Moana beach park. I go there 2x/week to run and the sunsets have been really nice lately! There is even a "Magic Island Sunset Club" that meets at the bench near the surf's edge to take & compare photos.
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:42 AM

Do the stargazing tour to Mauna Kea summit if at all possible. Mauna Kea Summit Adventures has a daily pickup in Waikoloa, near Kings' Shops.

You'll be there fairly close to a new moon and I guarantee the stars will take your breath away.
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone!

fdecarlo: How far from Hapuna is the Mauna Kea excursion? Also, do you know about the price of it? Any thoughts on the night manta ray snorkels?

Feel free to post more suggestions/tips/advice on anything up until we leave on the 7th!
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Kal

HONEYMOON!!!!

I hope you're taking PROTECTION!!!

A minimum 30-something SPF sunscreen.

Come on! What were you all thinkin'?

Even if it's overcast and cool, wear it.

Ol' Sol has been know to spoil a few H'moons in his day!
Congrats and HAVE FUN!!!

Jul 29th, 2004, 05:56 PM

A dining suggestion for Waikiki. Dukes is a great place right next to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. It is right on the waterfront and the dinners aren't terrible expensive ($15-23) if I remember right. I would recommend making reservations, though. Have fun!
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:24 AM

beachgirl: You can get info on the tour at http://www.maunakea.com/

The pickup location is about 15 minutes from Hapuna, but the excursion itself is 7-8 hours total. Check their website for pricing.

I'm not familiar with the manta ray night snorkle, but I have run into manta rays during the day while snorkeling near the Mauna Kea Hotel. There are also nighttime scuba excursions which, from what I'm told are way better than snorkeling encounters. Apparently most of the ray "action" takes place 20-50 feet underwater, and scuba gear is required to get the full effect.
Jul 31st, 2004, 10:37 PM

For no frills transportation to the top of Mauna Kea try Arnott's Lodge. They provide the van and heavy parkas (it is actually cold up there) so you would not need to rent a 4x4. Other outfits have tours up that include dinner etc... but plan to pay quite a bit more $ .