Any ideas for 3 nights in New York City?

Sep 14th, 1999, 10:08 AM
Sharon Stilp-Kressin

Any ideas for 3 nights in New York City?

I am taking my husband to NYC for his 40th birthday. I need suggestions on how to spend our time. Any great restaurant suggestions? We are going 10/1 - 10/4. What is a must see? Thank you.

Sep 14th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Howard

Give us some ideas of what you like--theater? other arts? museums? What? As for restaurants, how about a price range? Answer these and I'll be happy to try and help out!

Sep 16th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Sharon

We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square. We have tickets for Cabaret and would like to go to something else. We love going out for dinner and would like to go to a great NYC restaurant in the $25-$40 price range. What neighborhoods would be good to visit, walk through, shop, eat, have a drink, etc. How about a boat tour around Manhattan. Thanks for any recommendations

Sep 16th, 1999, 08:50 AM
Brian in Atlanta

If you're looking for neighborhoods "to visit, walk through, shop, eat, have a drink, etc" then spend a lot of time in the Village and Soho. Little Italy is close by also.

I recommend getting a copy of Access New York - it has great maps and is very easy to use to find bars/restaurants/shops broken out by neighborhood.

If you want to splurge, the Gotham City Bar and Grill on 12th Street in the Village will be a "great" experience (entrees are $20-$30). For less money, the Blue Water Grill at Union Square is also pretty impressive. You'll need reservations at both places.

Have a great time!

Sep 16th, 1999, 08:51 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Sorry, that's just "Gotham Bar and Grill".

Sep 16th, 1999, 12:11 PM
Linda

Cabaret was a great choice! Good not too expensive dining in the theatre district - Le Max on W. 43rd St, just east of Broadway. Walk and dine in Greenwich Village. I agree that Blue Water Grill is good, but pricey is you order appetizers, drinks, desserts. Flatiron district (23rd and Broadway) has a lot of small restaurants that are wonderful, but not too much sightseeing. Upper West Side is good for strolling - Columbus Ave near Museum of Natural History, or Broadway (Zabar's is a glorified deli at W. 80th St that really is a treat). Home cooking - Miss Ellie's Homesidk Bar and Grill on 79th St, just east of Broadway. Try to go to Lincoln Centre. Inexpensive tickets may be had. Ditto for Carnegie Hall. Stroll and window shop on Madison Ave in the 60's, or Soho (south of HOuston Street). Chinatown and LIttle Italy are fun, and right next door to one another. Do dinner in Chinatown (very inexpensive) and a decedent dessert in Little Italy. Enjoy.

Sep 16th, 1999, 12:14 PM
Biggy

Best small cafe restaurant is nosidam cafe on Madison avenue in the upper east side. Excellent food and service and a great neighbourhood.

Make a reservation

Sep 16th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Howard

You're going to NYC during one of the times of the year, weatherwise.
1. Dinner recommendations: Definitely try Becco on West 46th Street in the heart of the theater district. It's well within your price range. I think it's one of the great bargains in mid-Manhattan. One of its specialties is the triple pasta. You are served three always wonderful pastas, and then can get seconds, thirds, etc., as much as you want! And it's reasonably priced in the $18-20 area, which indeed a a bargain for a quality restaurant in the city. Definitely make reservations. They also have a very good and reasonably priced wine list. Otherwise, you'll find a host of fine dining places in Greenwich Village or Soho that will meet your price guidelines.
2. As for additional theater recommendations, if you're interested in a "serious" play, then definitely get tickets for the revival of "Death of a Saleman," starring Brian Dennehy. It's a brilliant production, truly an experience of a lifetime. If you want to stick to musicals, I recommend "Chicago" and "Ragtime." Check the Playbill website (www.playbill.com) and join its club--no fee, no gimmicks. You're able to get discount tickets to many shows through it. Discount tickets for someperformances of both "Chicago" and "Ragtime" are available throught the Playbill site. (I've gotten discount tickets through their site several times and have never been disappointed.)
3. For a boat ride around Manhattan, take a Circle Line Cruise. It's one of the top things to do. Also, you can't come to NYC without going to museums, and the Metropolitan should certainly top the list!
Any questions? Enjoy!

Sep 16th, 1999, 07:10 PM
steve

CABARET is an excellent choice. If you want to dine in the theatre district I would suggest Firebird which is a very lavish Russian restaurant or Orso for Italian. Nearby is Osteria del Circo which is owned by the same family who own Le Cirque, but it is much more casual and less expensive. RAGTIME is a wonderful musical in a newly renovated theatre. If you decide not to go to another Broadway show you might enjoy going to a jazz club or cabaret. Cafe Carlyle(in the Carlyle Hotel) is a very well known, elegant cabaret. I think Barbara Cook will be performing there when you're in the city, or maybe Bobby Short. Gotham Bar and Grill is a wonderful restaurant and Blue Water Grill is good also. In the same area is the excellent Union Square Cafe. Grand Central Station has been recently renovated and is worth a visit. There are a number of restaurants there. I always enjoy having lunch at the counter of the Oyster Bar. Cafe Centro is a big, bustling restaurant right next to Grand Central that is usually quite reliable. If you like museums certainly visit the Metropolitan. The Whitney is having a special show featuring 20th century American art and the second half will be on view during your visit. The Frick Collection museum is in a beautiful home and always worth a visit. Shopping is great in Soho, Greenwich village and along Madison and Fifth avenues. Have a wonderful trip!

Sep 16th, 1999, 08:41 PM
steve

THe HOward Johnson Hotel is one hotel which u should stay at. It is the best i have ever been too in NEw York

Sep 17th, 1999, 07:32 AM
lisa

Sharon: What a great gift. You did a good job choosing a play and a hotel (excellent location). Here are restaurant suggestions in the theatre district that aren't far from where you're staying:
Le Madeleine
(403 W. 43d St., near 9th Ave., 202-246-2993).
Excellent food, and the
prices aren't too bad by New York standards. Try to get a reservation in the garden room which is light and airy and filled with plants. The mussel appetizer is outstanding and so are the rosemary chicken, the duck
breast, and the pork with polenta. Definitely save room for dessert -- fantastic creme brulee,
chocolate truffle tart, and chocolate-caramel
mousse. Absolutely
delicious.
Another place I like a lot is Joe Allen (326
W. 46th St., 202-581-6464). It's moderately-priced
for dinner, by NYC standards, with entrees around
$12-18 I'd say and a good variety of steaks, pastas,
etc. Plus you get occasional celebrity-sightings there which
can be kind of fun. I also like Cafe Un
Deux Trois (123 W. 44th St., betw. 6th &
Broadway, 202-354-4148), and for a more casual
bite, John's Pizzeria (260 W. 44th St., whole pies
only). Agree for the recommendation of Osteria del Circo, the
more moderately-priced cousin of Le Cirque, at 120
W 55th St.
(Between 6th and 7th Aves)
(212) 265-3636. But it's still pretty pricey to me so I
like to go for lunch rather than dinner.

The one "must-do" I would recommend is a trip to Ellis Island if you've never been -- it's really wonderful and moving and you get a pretty look at the Statue of Liberty too. Having a picnic in Central Park is fun too -- it's so pretty.
My favorite website for planning trips to New York is
newyork.sidewalk.com -- lots of info on restaurants,
neighborhoods, plays, shopping, etc.
Have a wonderful time.

Sep 19th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Michele

Sharon, As a native New Yorker, I have taken New York for granted for many years. However, last year I had friends
visiting from out of town and decided to play tourist for a few days. We picked up a Grayline bus from the Port Authority at 8th Avenue and 42nd Street and did a bus tour (hop on hop off) which cost us about $22 and is good for two consecutive days, although we only did it for one day. The tour that I recommend would be of lower Manhatten. You can stop off to visit the Empire State Building (but I would save that for last as it is open until midnight). You can stop off at Cninatown/Little Italy, the World Trade Center (visit the observation deck), take a walk over to shop at Century 21, take a ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty, or a free ferry ride to Staten Island (and get back on to make the return trip). The bus makes many more stops allowing to get on and off at your leisure, but start early (9am) to get going before the lines. You can also visit the South Street Seaport, and if you like Indian Food, ask about how you can get to the East Village to Little India. Great food and out of site prices (low,low,low).
I would also recommend the circle line cruise around Manhatten. It is about 3 hours and costs ~$30. Between the two you will feel that you have gotten an EXCELLENT perspective on New York, it's history and some of the great things that are available for you to do during your stay. Actually, you will realize that you have to come back. And finally, make sure that you take time to have a drink at "The View" in the Marriott Marquis. The drinks are pricey, but the view on a clear night is simply fabulous and the floor rotates. There is often music and a very small dance floor, where you can your husband can enjoy a little dancing. Have a great time!
P.S. If you like museums, try to get up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You can take an elevator to the roof, from where you will have an opportunity to see Central Park from above. Exhibits i the museum are wonderful as well. If you arrive early enough on Firday, you may be able to go listen to live entertainment, at the museum over a glass of Perrier or Champagne.

Sep 20th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Sharon

Thanks for a the wonderful info. We are looking forward to an exciting weekend in a fabulous city. I appreciate the recommendations.