Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any discounts for traveling shows of Cirque Du Soleil?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Visitor

I guess my message header is pretty self explanatory, but I'm wondering if anyone has come across any kind of discounts, particularly for any shows traveling throught the northeast (NYC/Philadelphia/DC, etc.

Prices are running close to $100 per ticket in some cities, and I was just hoping to save a few bucks.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Syv

My friend is IN it and couldn't even get me a discount ticket while it was in Toronto Canada.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Faina

I paid, don't remember now, $60 or 70, not more then that in San Francisco for the best seats of Varekai. Did you check their website?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Visitor

NY prices for Varekai are $75-95 (actually $195 for VIP tickets).
Short of seeing a show in Canada where the exchange rate softens the blow --but the airfare/train fare/hotels would cut into the savings -- It looks like I'm out of luck unless someone here knows something...

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Celine

You won't find a discount unless you find a website with people stuck with their tickets trying to sell them for cheap. But then again, they'll sell them in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I have been to 4 shows already, it's TOTALLY worth the price...If you can splurge for it, definitely don't miss it.

Is there a smaller city close to NYC that there are playing? It probably will be cheaper there because of less demand.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Visitor

BTW, there's also a $4.50 handling fee per order plus a service charge of $5.45 per ticket to order online. Can't get tickets in person since the tickets are sold by admission.com, a Canadian company like Telecharge, and the only US office is in Burlington, VT.

Very frustrating. I expect to pay these prices for a show like "O" in Las Vegas because of the expense of the set, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it for the basic traveling show. (I've seen the Cirque in Orlando, and years ago, in NYC ($20 seats which were unpadded benches with no backs! For another $10 per seat, you got a cushioned bench, to have an actual chair was about $50)

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Beth

always a good idea to get on the email list. I saw cheaper ticket when I got my alert. I also was given an option to buy tickets early

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Beth

looking above on this thread, I got info and early ticket options for Varekai

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Visitor

Beth, I'm on the e-mail list(Cirque Club) which is actually the only way (by logging in)you can even see the prices and availability for the NYC shows (which run April through June). Do you think they offer special deals LATER? I haven't gotten any e-mail other than my welcome message confirming my user name and password

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Beth

can't see why they would offer deals later rather than sooner. That is not the way I know Broadway to work which has a similar capacity with big ticket shows. If you are lucky enough to be on a theatre mailing lists you win. My sister could shoot herself for not buying or using her early option to buy Lion Tickets before the show actually opened.

Email the webmaster about varekai tickets.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Visitor

(others welcome to weigh in, though this question is to Beth...)
Which webmaster do you mean? The cirque club mailing list is directly from Cirque du soleil, and it gives you the option to pre-order tickets that are supposedly not available yet to "the general public"--I'd hate to think that the $75-95 rates listed are considered discounted...
I can't contact "the theater" or its website since the location for the show in NYC will be a tent on a fairly deserted/underused island that has a rarely used sports arena (used for things like Special Olympics, not a professional team).

Traveling shows like this, especially with a venue that's in itself temporary, are very differently operated from Broadway shows...