Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best site for half or discount price NYC tickets

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Parrot Mom

So many sites..is there one that you find better than others? Also, what is the story about Flower DrumSong? Saw original pre-Broadway many years ago and it wasn't that big hit then.. We are planning on being in NYC Dec. 7th...should we hold off ordering tickets?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:24 AM
x

The best place for discount tickets is the TKTS booth on Broadway at 47th. Discount tickets for some shows can be obtained at www.playubill.com

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Frank

We weren't impressed with Flower Drum,(did you really see the "original", that was over 40 years ago)? thought Hairspray, Dance of the Vampires, Aida, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast and Modern Millie were all better. Don't get me wrong, we didn't hate it, but there are so many better choices.

playbill.com is generally the best and easiest to use, but occasionally another site will give a better discount. Hitshowclub.com is another.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Jud

FYI: Just be aware that the current Flower Drum Song story line is somewhat changed from the original. In an attempt to bring it up to date, Mei Ling is no longer brought over with her father as an illegal who is betrothed to be married. And one of the original songs pertaining to that situation (I forget which one) has been dropped.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:28 AM
ParrotMom

Frank, yes, I did see the original pre-Broadway in Boston....Myoki ?? and I think Jack ?? from the Barney Miller show..Boston was a great place for try-outs and the quote from Rogers and Hammerstein was something like ..."they wouldn't open anything includng a can of tuna anyplace but Boston"The late Abe Bouroughs was a frequent visitor doctoring up plays at the Colonial Theatre. We have seen some real dogs which have been "doctored" here and then went on to be Tony Winners in NYC....one was Gingerbread Lady and another one with Tommy Tune where he actually came out and apologized. Probably had the original playbill until recently. Have already seen Lion King,Beauty and the Beast and Contact.. Just saw a play called The Gig directed by the same producer as Thorougly Modern Millie which should be a geat hit if it ever gets to Broadway....there is also a muscal version of Marty here too, but I don'tknow if there are plans to bring it to the City and to top it off a wild verson of Bat Boy which will re-open after a planned short engagement...

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Frank

Parrot Mom: Hats off to you, you are really a long time supporter of the theater.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:05 AM
E

You couldn't have seen it a few years ago in Boston because it actually premiered in Los Angeles last year. For those of you who don't know, this version of the Flower Drum Song is a rewrite of the classic Rodger's and Hammerstein musical by an Asian American, David Henry Hwang. Most of the music is the same but the plot has been slightly changed so that it doesn't play on stereotypes. I absolutely LOVED it when I saw it. It's definitely different and "experimental" some might say so if you're looking for a "classic, traditional, timeless" show then maybe Flower Drum Song wouldn't be for you. Personally, I've been a huge fan of David Henry Hwang so maybe I'm a little biased.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:25 AM
ParrotMom

Only speak the truth...lol...yes, did see the original over 40 years ago and the original of Camelot,Sound of Music and Follies among other plays. Parrot Mom is and was a big fan of musicals which is a true American art form. I must admit that the english version of Carousel will always be THE only version I will remembe because Julie is portrayed as a "battered wife"....We are not fans of Webber but would follow Sondheim anywhere..and by the way...what was he smoking when he wrote Assassins...Sondheim was a protege of Hammerstein who wrote lyrics character driven.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Howard

Parrot Mom, it seems to me that we've compared "ancient history theater-going" once before. I, too, saw Flower Drum Song in Boston during its initial run. For the record, the cast included Myoshi Umeki, Pat Suzuki, Jack Soo (of Barney Miller fame) and Larry Blyden (husband of Carol Haney)

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Parrot Mom

Probably Howard..but now the prices of musical theatre tickets is beyond our pocket book, i.e. Hairspray, Producers, etc. and we have discovered in MA great regional theatre at a fraction of the cost. Merrimack, Foothills, Lyric and the like here have geat theatres. There is no need for an actor/actress (Equity) when there is plenty of work here to go to NYC. Occasionally through Arts Boston we've done a theater trip to London and have had one day trips to NYC with discount seats.