Reload this Page >

Antiques and Flea Markets in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Theresa

We will be in the Big Apple next weekend and look forward to a quick but fun birthday weekend. We've hit most of the tourist spots in trips past and hope to spend time doing some different and fun things this time. Antiques are a passion and I've never scoured them out in NYC. Any help?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:34 PM
market

I haven't been to NYC for a year or two, but to my knowledge there is still a big outdoor flea market, pretty much all year round, on 6th Avenue between 25th and 26th Streets on weekends. The Sunday one is better, and also takes over another smaller parking lot across the road. I've found some truly good bargains there, although as with most flea markets there's also a lot of junk. The advantage to this area is that along 26th Street there are a number of buildings with antique shops and co-ops. I find it a great neighbourhood for browsing.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:38 PM
rqf

There is a flea market that operates out of a schoolyard located on Columbus Avenue and 77th Street. I know it operates on Saturdays, not sure about Sunday. It is near Natural History Museum.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:49 PM
David

Chinatown / Canal St. area is nothing more than a glorified flea market

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Caitlin

Canal street is nothing more than a glorified *junky* flea market.

The 26th/6th Ave flea market on Sunday is the way to go. Not far away, on Broadway between about 13th St and 8th St, is a corridor of antique dealers.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:24 PM
annK

Catlin, you are so right, lots of junk for sale. On the plus side, you can get an umbrella for $2, in fact we did that today. (It was raining a bit)

But the nice thing is you can bargin for a better price.

There is also a small flea market on Broadway a couple blocks north of Canal St. on Sunday that is pretty good.

6th Ave and streets off the avenue just above 23rd st. there are several antique buildings and flea markets, look around the area and ask. Several of the older flea markets have gone away, because of new buildings going up, but look around and you should be able to find some great deals.

Have fun.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Lizzie

Ann, do you mean the little vendor area on the corner of W. Broadway (or is it Wooster?) and Spring? If so, one observation: they have cute things but I'm pretty sure it's all clothing. It's right around the corner from my apartment so I walk by every day!

The 26th Street flea market is great. You can't get the deals you could even a few years ago, but it's still a lot of fun to walk around... and you never know what you might find! But make sure to pick up a copy of the Friday New York Times and look through the Arts and Leisure section - they'll have comprehensive listings of other antiques events and flea markets. There are antiques shows set up on some of the piers on the west side of the island fairly often.

Also, Canal Street is lined with people hawking cheap imitations of expensive goods - but I picked up a great bag, $10, Hermes knockoff, and I use it almost every day! So it's worth checking out if that's what you're in the market for. Just don't think you're getting an unbelievable deal for that Gucci watch.

Have fun!
Lizzie

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Theresa

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the bits of info!