Antelope Valley Poppies

Search

Antelope Valley Poppies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antelope Valley Poppies

Does anyone know when the predicted peak will be for the Poppy reserve at Antelope Valley thi s year?

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM

I believe it's usually between April and June. I went one year in June thinking it would be the best...there were about 10. Literally, 10 poppies. There is a park ranger station there, you can probably call and find out. Especially with all our rain this year, that might affect the growth.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:59 AM

My recollection of poppies blooming is that they are best in the spring - around March and April, depending on the year, the rain, the heat, etc.

The best source for current information on how conditions are in a certain area of California is the California State Parks systems. The rangers are very diligent in providing information on their individual parks. There is a Poppy Preserve near Lancaster, if memories of visiting an old friend serve me correctly.

Try parks.ca.gov

Have fun! Beautiful vistas!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM

June is definitely too late for poppies most years, and especially this year. It's way too hot for them to hold on that long.

I live in the AV, and I already have poppies in my front yard blooming; this is about a month earlier than they began blooming last year. My boss who lives in the western part of the AV (Lake Elizabeth area), said that the poppies along the roads out there are already blooming and that she'd heard they were already beginning to bloom at the Reserve (in west Lancaster).

I think the rains will make this an early blooming year for poppies. I recently came across a page with CA wildflower information that had loads of reviews including the AV area regarding poppies: http://calphoto.com/wflower.htm.

Also try calling:
Wildflower viewing - Recorded Message
661-724-1180
And here's the CA Poppy Reserve webpage:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=627

Hope that helps,
-Sandra
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I live in California - SF area. Went to the poppy reserve 2 years ago and was blown away by the "poppies as far as the eye could see"!!! We were told that was nothing compared to when there is a good rain season. So this year we have 5 days at the end of March to head to AV and hoping the peak is occurring around them.

Thanks Sandra for your info and I will definitely check out that website you mention.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Might want to check out Carol Leigh's Calif. Wildflower Hotsheet at www.calphoto.com/wflower.htm. Individuals send in their information on a weekly basis for sites across California including the poppy preserve.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:23 AM

Mazuka - Sounds like you will be here the perfect poppy time then (this year)! Usually the peak is more midApril, but with the rains, even the poppy reserve folks are predicting an earlier peak (late March to early April).

If you are a hiker, go on the Vasquez Rocks loop trail... Last year at peak flower time I hiked it and was just amazed at the beauty. It's a pretty easy hike, some ups & downs but mostly a level walk, I think it's about 1.5 miles.
http://parks.co.la.ca.us/vasquez_narea.html

-Sandra