March/April for Uganda? No way?

Jul 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

March/April for Uganda? No way?

Hi everyone,

I have been itching to get back to Africa but haven't much flexibility in terms of when I can go and for how long (not too mention budget), but on the off chance the stars align...is this timeframe too muddy/rainy for comfortable gorilla and chimp trekking? I was thinking of flying into Entebbe and out of Nairobi to squeeze in a mini Kenya safari as well.

Crazy?

Thanks for any guidance you all can provide.
Jul 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope you can make it work!
Jul 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Leely, I asked my son, who just returned to SF from two years of living in Kampala. He said (not that this is a solid answer LOL!):

"It wasn't bad when we went, around April 1. There's really no way to predict. This past year, the dry season was kind of wet, the rainy season was damp but not torrential like last year, and the hot season was mild. Chalk it up to climate change I guess."
Jul 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Also glad to read that you're planning to get back, but as to an answer - whether is will or whether it won't - be as wet as expected during the rainy season, beats me.

You might be fortunate to catch a few days when it's dry or not! Also, as most countries, weather in one area might be completely different elsewhere.

Have you determined that they actually conduct gorilla treks during the wet season?

Hope you can work out something... maybe for June. Prices are reasonable in Kenya during that month.
Jul 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Leely, I would be so excited for you if you could go to Uganda (my beloved Uganda!!). I'm not sure about March/April, though. As you know from reading my trip report, we were there at the start of the "short rains," and while it was definitely possible to get around (and go gorilla trekking), it wasn't always easy.
Jul 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I need to do a little more research. No guarantees when it comes to weather but I would love to get over there in the first half of 2010.
Jul 15th, 2009, 04:32 AM

We visited Tanzania and Uganda in April, 2008 for 3 1/2 weeks. The weather was beautiful. We had a drizzle on the drive to Bwindi to see the gorillas and then again on the afternoon AFTER we have visited the gorillas. The gorilla trek was not muddy at all. We had no rain at all in Tanzania or when visiting Merchison Falls in Uganda.
I guess it's the luck of the draw!
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the replies--they are very helpful.

I'll admit I was sorely, sorely tempted by the Emirates sale earlier this week. I could have flown SFO-EBB and then NBO-SFO for 1250 all in.

Is anything open for biz late-May in Kenya? I know it's big rains time, but Sandi don't you sometimes travel in May? Is gameviewing a washout? Because another option would be fly into NBO late May for about 5-7/nt traditional safari then to Uganda for gorillas (and possibly chimpanzees) in early June.

The real tricky part here for me would be the dread single supplement. I can't seem to convince anyone to go to East Africa with me in this economy.