Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am going to the west coast for the first time with my girlfriend (we are 24 and 22), and we have limited days. We would like to visit the Antelope Canyon, and if its convenient (in terms of time and budget) fit in Horseshoe Bend too. Is it possible to do both in one day only? How is it done? Do we need to hire this with anticipation online? can we go in our rented car? We love photography, and are pretty agile when we travel, thank you!
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Per your original thread -- you really don't have time for these additional places. You don't even have adequate time for your original 'musts' - San Diego, LA, SF, Yosemite, and Vegas.

Either you need to add several days to your trip, or cut back on where you go.

(and per your other other thread, the helicopters don't land in the Park. If you want to see the Grand Canyon, drive)
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 04:10 PM

Horseshoe bend involves a short hike through sand to the edge of the riverbank and should not take more than a half hour total. It is best seen early in the day, with the sun at your back. We were there in the afternoon so my pictures were not the best.

Upper Antelope canyon takes a bit more than a half hour to do, but if you do not sign up for a tour ahead of time you might have to wait in the parking lot a bit longer. Most people say it is best at noon, but we were there in the afternoon and I thought it was spectacular.

If you want to see some pictures you can go to my flickr site click on albums then choose the 2008 trip:

www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

thank you both!! we just saw you pictures emalloy!
Janis thank you for all of your quick responses, we might have to do the trip in two parts and go back someday since we can't add more days to this one about the helicopter, we saw some packs which include a picnic in the Canyon after the helicopter ride, is that possible? xx
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

(we insist on the helicopter since we want to save time driving back and forth!)
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 05:42 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you can do Upper Antelope canyon and Horseshoe bend in a day. It would be a longer day if you also included Lower Antelope canyon but you could still visit them in a day. It would be even longer if you wanted to be in these spots at a certain time of day but if that doesn't matter very doable.

I only went to Upper Antelope canyon in the morning and then Horseshoe bend early in the afternoon. It was in June and my pictures came out fine. We drove to each spot and only had a short wait (next group) at Antelope Canyon. There were lots of people there but every now and then you could pictures with no one in the way.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 06:51 PM

>>about the helicopter, we saw some packs which include a picnic in the Canyon after the helicopter ride, is that possible?
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Nope, but we are rushing. The itinerary draft we could came up with is the following:
1. San Diego - Las Vegas
2. Las Vegas - Antelope Canyon - Las Vegas
3. Las Vegas - Grand Canyon (if we do the helicopter, we can squeeze it in the morning, and leave for yosemite in the afternoon)
4. Yosemite
5. Yosemite - San Francisco
6. SF
7. SF
8. SF - Highway 1
9. Highway 1
10. LA
11. LA
12. LA
13. Flight to Uruguay in the morning

(theres a night spent in the highway which we intend to decide later on where to sleep, any recommendations?)
What do you think? Its pretty squashed and we might only get a glimpse of San Fran and LA, but well, I don't know.. let us know any suggestions! thank you!!
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 08:15 PM

Do you fully understand the height and depth of antelope canyon? Do you expect to be alone there with your camera?

While beautiful, especially 20-21 June, it is a short canyon and crowded with tourists. The largest slot canyon is Buckskin near Kanab, Utah but it is not photogenic.

Personally, with your schedule, I'd favor hiking UP virgin river in Zion. No permit needed for hiking up the river.
It is shorter and less crowded. Google:
narrows zion national park

Careful on the Helicopter flight to Grand Canyon. JanisJ has a valid point. West Grand Canyon is on Haulasupai (spelling) Indian Reservation. It is NOT THE Grand Canyon. Thus, when making your reservation insure it is not the west end.

Vaga

PS - If you decide to go to Antelope Canyon, eat at Big Johns BBQ on Page's main street. Inside and outside seating.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 08:50 PM

>>3. Las Vegas - Grand Canyon (if we do the helicopter, we can squeeze it in the morning, and leave for yosemite in the afternoon) after a helicopter tour and picnic in the Grand Canyon . . . and not even get to the Grand Canyon proper.

And this is as bad - >>2. Las Vegas - Antelope Canyon - Las Vegastwo days in a row.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 08:52 PM

Meant to add . . . You are trying to squeeze a 3 week itinerary into a 12 day trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Oh google maps suggested it was a 5 hour drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite! 4 more hours changes things a bit.. how do you recommend us to visit the Grand Canyon properly? Driving, but to the skywalk? we found that a bit touristy but actually have no clue whats best!
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Vaga, Zion National Park looks soooo amazing!!! makes me want to spend half of my whole trip there! (but not really happening )
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 09:13 PM

>>Oh google maps suggested it was a 5 hour drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite!