Antelope Canyon

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antelope Canyon

Planning a visit to Antelope Canyon. Can you just drive up to the Navaho gate and park your car? Then have a guide direct (take) you into the canyon entrance, then designated a time for a pick-up. Does this apply to both the Upper and Lower Canyon.. How does it work. I would like to spend some time photographing the canyon and do not want to be rushed. I think the general tours would not allow me to spend much time. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM

First, search this site. You'll find lots of people have been there.

When I went in April, we drove to the Antelope Canyon parking area, paid the nice Navajo woman ($17.50??), and she drove us to the upper canyon. She returned after one hour. The canyon was amazing, but also crowded. I would go back in a heart beat, but the advice I received when I posted a similar question was valid - there is no spot, angle, or exposure you can shoot in Antelope Canyon, that has been shot a hundred times before.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:27 PM

We took a tour of the Antelope Canyon with Overland tours--I thought it was well worth it and did not feel rushed. Pictures really don't do it justice.

Also, since you are in the area, I would recommend a float trip on the Colorado--this was the highlight of the trip. You can reserve the float trip through the Page Chamber of Commerce. The float trip travels through Horshoe Bend--the day before we went to to the look out to see Horshoe Bend from above--absoulutely gorgeous. The locals know which mile marker you go to. You pull into a parking lot and walk to the edge--it is quite sandy.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:25 PM

Frommer's guidebook recommends an "Antelope Canyon Cruise" for those with limited time or finances, but does not give any further details. Does anyone know where this departs from, what time, how long it lasts, and the cost? Above all, is it enjoyable?
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:35 PM

Can't remember which Canyon was upper and which was lower but if you drive up, park and pay at the crowded one you have an hour - at the other one you have as long as you want. For photography I thought the "crowded" canyon was more spectacular with the lighting.

I went around noon/1 to get direct sunlight and people were very accomodating - my wife would ask people around a corner I was shooting to wait and we were able to get tripod shoots in the crowded canyon that were spectacular.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:44 PM

I stayed at Wahweap Lodge and took that boat tour, it was something like 30-35 dollars, the boat takes you in, stops for a while, then goes out the same way. The dock is very close to the lodge, and I believe you can make reservations through the lodge - I was on a tour and the tour director handled this. I strongly recommend this awesome boat tour - the feeling is that you left the Earth and landed on some unknown planet. By the way the lodge is great, the night-time view, when all the houseboats are lighted, can't be beat! I think each room has the lake view but I may be wrong. The tour was 2 or 2,5 hours, but they may have different tours. Just do a search on the net for Lake Powell and Waheap Lodge, you'll find plenty of info!