Another Marine Graduation: Need Inexpensive Lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an older thread here regarding travel to South Carolina to attend Marine graduation on Parris Island. I would imagine rooms around there book fast, and are probably more expensive than they should be. We're on a bit of a budget, already stretching things to make the drive down there (from Michigan), so any little bit helps. We are still waiting for the information packet from the Marines, but in the meantime, wanted to get some ideas on alternative place to stay that are nearby.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Port Royal is the closest town with hotels to PI. By the way congratulations. My son graduated from PI in 1992. Semper Fi.

There's a Super 8 and Day's Inn at PR with good rates. I like Beaufort myself which is just N or PR. There's a Hampton, Best Western and Hilton Garden Inn in Beaufort. Even if you don't stay in Beaufort be sure to visit for lunch if you have time.

Good luck and also good luck to the new Marine. He will be going to Camp Lejeune soon. If you visit go to Morehead City and Beufort, NC if you get a chance. Write that young man and send him some packages to keep him from getting homesick.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In 1998 my wife and I were lucky enough to get accomodation inside the base when our son graduated as a Marine. If you can get the right phone # and get a reservation you will save money vs. off base hotel. Semper Fi! Marine parents.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 02:30 AM

When DS graduated in Oct 1997 the hotels nearest PI had a 2 night minimum. Beaufort is beautiful and if were to go again I would consider staying there. How far a drive? We were able to go on base to watch the practice and then spend a few hours with DS. Then the next day for the actual graduation. Bring plenty of the favorite food he hasn't been able to eat for 12 weeks! DS did nothing but talk and eat for a few days. We had flown down so stopped briefly in Beaufort SC before driving on to Charleston where we spent one more night.

During boot camp we sent pictures from home which the guys loved sharing. Photos were one of the few things allowed besides short letters. The other guys liked seeing pics of our little town in NH.

You are going to be so proud when you see your new Marine!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 08:15 AM

The Quality Inn is advertising $49 per nite. One double. Renovated.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Semper Fi!

Thanks everyone! Through one mishap or another (in other words, my better half's evil ex-husband), we never got the information packet. We ended up having to find a hotel at the last minute, and got the aforementioned Quality Inn in Beaufort. We got a decent rate considering, although the two nights were more expensive. (Family day is on Thursday, and graduation Friday.)

The Quality Inn in Beaufort was OK, nothing special. On the upside, the room was clean and the heating/cooling units were brand new. The only downside is that the walls were paper thin. The second night (the eve of family day at the base), we returned to listen to TV blaring for two hours. Deb passed out almost immediately, and I stuck my earbuds in so I could go to sleep. Eventually.

We left the Detroit area around 5:30am and got there around 9:30pm...which was within about five minutes of the estimation that Google Maps gave us.

Our marine asked us for only one thing: he wanted peanut butter cookies. Homemade, with crunchy peanut butter. We made nine dozen, enough for the entire platoon! He was in disbelief that we stayed up late to finish baking them. And he was the hero of all his platoon buddies: "Parsons! You came through for us, dude!"

It was quite an experience, too...very memorable. We got there very early for the morning motivation run, and arrived in the dark and fog. Graduation was an experience also--I shot two rolls of film, and have dozens more on the digital camera. We made friends with a lady from Pennsylvania, whose son was also in the same platoon. Our boy is now at Camp Lejeune, and just started his training today.

Wednesday, we slept in after the 16 hour drive and went to Savannah for the day. Thursday, after family day, we drove over to Hilton Head. (Man, it has changed over the course of 25 years!) We found a little seafood place on Hilton Head called Hudson's where we had some excellent seafood (I had the local shrimp, Deb had crab cakes). Friday afternoon it was Subway on Parris Island, and we headed home at 1:45pm, taking a different route home that unfortunately got us snared in multiple-mile traffic jam around Beckley, WV.

Wish we could have stayed longer--we arrive home to single digit temps, where two days prior, we'd been walking on the beach in the upper 50s!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Great congratulations to you. Those graduations make me cry. I was at my nephew's Marine graduation whaaaaaah, lol.

So glad you got it figured out. That lowcountry fog is fun, huh! Come back when you can stay longer and enjoy winter in SC.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Hats off the familys who paid the price, and to the Marines who keep us safe! In the last two months, twice I have driven out of Beaufort heading to I-95 about noon on a Friday. Quite often it is Mom and Dad, a skin-head Marine, and a very comely young lady. New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia. The license plates say one thing: "We are one country"! Let's not lose it.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 01:43 AM

Congratulations on your new Marine! It was great of you to make those cookies, just the kind of sharing good buddies do. We treated ourselves to one Thanksgiving week while DS was at Lejeune. We rented a beach house on Emerald Isle which was actually cheaper than a hotel. Fed a couple of friends before they headed home and another Marine from home spend a couple of days with us. The comely lady (and her folks) with us was very patient and several years later became our DIL.

Hoorah!
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 03:34 AM

Congratulations to you and your new Marine.
Beaufort is one of my favorite little towns in America, glad to see it was a good visit.