Search

Another luau?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another luau?

I've been to a luau in Oahu (Paradise Cove) about 5 years ago. I'm wondering if I should do another luau on my upcoming trip to Hawaii. I was thinking of going to Old lahaina luau in Maui. Is each luau different and worth seeing again?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM

IMHO, once is enough. Food is only every ok and the shows, while they can be different a bit -- too much the same.

If you want something new and amazing - go to Warren and Annabelle's. Great food and spellbinding show.

http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/

We did royal flush package.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved the Old Lahaina Luau, so I'd say yes. I also enjoyed U'lalena at Myth and Magic Theater in Lahaina.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM

We, too, enjoyed Old Lahaina Luau. I would go again.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Both are good luaus, with Hawaiian arts + crafts to watch beforehand, good-not-great luau food, and solid hula performances into the evening. Compared to Paradise Cove, Old Lahaina has fewer people (480 vs as many as 1,200), less time spent doing pre-dinner activities (the total event lasts 3 hours instead of 4 hours), and has an open bar instead of a limited number of drink tickets. If you enjoyed your experience five years ago then Old Lahaina would be a great choice for this trip.

Warren & Annabelle's is a comedy/parlor magic routine. In my opinion it is something you could find in almost any major mainland city - which is obviously not the case for the luau/hula shows. But if you do decide to attend W&A just make sure that it actually is Warren performing and not a replacement magician who isn't as familiar with the show's tricks.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice! We did enjoy our 1st luau, but as you all have mentioned the food was so-so.

I've been debating going to the Old Lahaina luau mainly because it'll be my first time in Maui and I will only be there for 2.5 days. I don't want to pack in my schedule too much and didn't want to go to the luau if they're all pretty much the same. Luaus do take a great deal of time (and money), but I've heard alot of good things about the Old Lahaina one which makes it tough!

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I agree that you want Warren to be there when you go. Their website does indicate when he will be away.

This is done in a very small venue and you are practically sitting in his lap as he does his show. He has a wonderful dialogue that goes with the show and it is way more than "magic" in the traditional sense. Slight of hand may be more descriptive. He did really have us spellbound and we are not country bumpkins by any means. A Vegas magic show would never compare because of the initmate venue that puts you within feet of him and leaves you wondering - how DID he do that??

Debi

We went to Drums of Pacific at Hyatt on Maui. It was ok, but one luau will bes enough for us.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How about Feast of Lele instead? It is a sit down restaurant meal, but with entertainment. Maybe that would be a nice compromise?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM

I recomment The Feast at Lele. My family and I went to this luau 2 years ago. It was excellent. Good food served at individual tables. Unlimited drinks included in the price. Were we to return to Maui, we'd go again.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Feast at Lele isn't cheap but the food is excellent - each course is inspired by a different polynesian culture with music and dance performances to match. It is actually run by the same people who run the Old Lahaina luau, just as a high-end dinner show instead of the conventional luau format.