Search

Annapolis, MD area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2022, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annapolis, MD area

I'll be staying for a few days with my family in DC area, actually Camp Springs, MD. Never been to Annapolis and I was wondering if it's worth taking a day off the Smithsonian Museums to visit. What do you think?

I was also planning oc crossing over thru William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bay Bridge.

Any other hints around this area? Thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 09:17 AM

Hi cchean

Annapolis is an atmospheric and picturesque small city with an attractive harbour and plenty of historic buildings that make me feel transported to the 18th century at times. There's plenty to keep one busy in DC but if I had, say, a 4-to 5-day visit to the DC area, I think taking one of those days to see Annapolis would be quite rewarding.

Best wishes

Daniel
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Daniel. You might also want to tour the Naval Academy. The William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bay Bridge is a marvel, not for those with a fear of bridges. Some sections are on pilings, some supported by a truss system, and it's finished (or started) by a suspension bridge. I crossed it three times ten days ago.
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 06:40 PM

Here's a pre-covid conversation about Annapolis, fyi:

Afternoons in Annapolis, MD

Since you are crossing the Bay Bridge look into going on to Easton...not quite as historical as Annapolis but very attractive. Avoid weekends and commuter times on the bridge!

Last edited by TDudette; Oct 18th, 2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I am no expert on Annapolis, but if you plan to drive across the bridge one of my favorite restaurants is on the other side.
The Fisherman's Inn -
https://fishermansinn.com/
The food is good if you like seafood. I'm fascinated by the collection of oyster plates there.
https://fishermansinn.com/antique-oyster-plates/
If you wanted to spend the night and explore the area, the Hilton Garden Inn is very nice. I love the rooms with water views.
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bwi...n-kent-island/
I love the museums on the mall but I would definitely take a break and explore a bit.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 06:29 PM

starrs, your Fisherman's Inn recco reminded me of the annual cream of crab soup competition we encountered when we first moved to the Annapolis area. When the winner was announced, the judge said, "As usual, the winner is DeNiros!". Off we went searching for DeNiros, but we couldn't find it. Mind you, this was 20 years before Google.

We decided to eat at Fisherman's one time and passed resto The Narrows, and Boom! we realized that the announcer's accent made us mangle the name. We went to The Narrows instead and ordered their award-winning cream of crab soup. We asked about a recipe and they cheerfully and immediately handed us a Xerox copy. Only one problem ....it was for 150 servings!
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 07:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TDudette
starrs, your Fisherman's Inn recco reminded me of the annual cream of crab soup competition we encountered when we first moved to the Annapolis area. When the winner was announced, the judge said, "As usual, the winner is DeNiros!". Off we went searching for DeNiros, but we couldn't find it. Mind you, this was 20 years before Google.

We decided to eat at Fisherman's one time and passed resto The Narrows, and Boom! we realized that the announcer's accent made us mangle the name. We went to The Narrows instead and ordered their award-winning cream of crab soup. We asked about a recipe and they cheerfully and immediately handed us a Xerox copy. Only one problem ....it was for 150 servings!
Great story!
150?! What's the problem?! LOL

I love it up there. There's an abandoned house with a boat in the front yard and another in the back yard that I'm fascinated with. I want to know the story about the Miss Gail II and her owners!

Old Oct 30th, 2022, 11:07 AM

Thanks, starrs. No help with Miss Gail, but I know someone who might. Stay tuned. Was it on the Eastern Shore? If the picture is of an oyster server, that's quite a price. Oyster plates were getting big prices in the 1990s...don't know if that's still true.