Afternoons in Annapolis, MD

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoons in Annapolis, MD

This week our GD is attending pottery painting camp in Annapolis so we have been bringing her daily and then walking around until she gets out. Man, it has been hot.
Mae have been having lunch at our usual places: the semi-icononic Chick and Ruth’’s deli Food there is ok, and they have no idea how to make a proper egg cream even though it is on the menu.

DW calls so to be continued.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Hi basie,

The area around the Market House (some new places there) has some tried and trues and newbies. You will find good food everywhere. Main Street as well.

DH and I took the Naval Academy tour 3 times we enjoyed it so much. Not sure about your and tour times though.

Paca House has a nice tour.

State House used to have tours. And the area around there, Maryland Avenue has shops and foods. Harry Browne's a great old standby.

St. John's College has an art gallery. Not sure about tours in the summer.

Is your GD's painting class downtown?
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes Rd. The class is on main st about 1 block down from cafe Normandy. There certainly are many food choices. We are sitting in market house now just to cool off We spent well over an hour in the capital building yesterday and it was time well spent Iearned a lot. Lunched today at Potato Valley Cafe which is what the name implies and is very vegetarian friendly.

Tomorrow DW is babysitting little Teddy so I will be a lone wanderer. Might try Paca house. Thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Sorry TD. Autocorrect made you a road
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:36 AM

LOL about Rd.

If you walk down (toward the water) Main St. on the same side of the street as Cafe Normandy, cross over at Green (it's Randall on one side) and you will see the Historic Annapolis Museum and Store. It has some nice gifts.

If you keep going, there is a Fleet Reserve Club on the left. It is just before a hotel with Pusser's restaurant. I'm not sure of FRC entry requirements.

Brice House is just before Paca but Paca has more furniture. Guess you've seen the tea and spice store--is it next to the pottery place???

DH and I spent lots of time at Leader (corner of Main and Conduit St.) looking at funny cards and cocktail napkins.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
LOL about Rd.

If you walk down (toward the water) Main St. on the same side of the street as Cafe Normandy, cross over at Green (it's Randall on one side) and you will see the Historic Annapolis Museum and Store. It has some nice gifts.

If you keep going, there is a Fleet Reserve Club on the left. It is just before a hotel with Pusser's restaurant. I'm not sure of FRC entry requirements.

Brice House is just before Paca but Paca has more furniture. Guess you've seen the tea and spice store--is it next to the pottery place???

DH and I spent lots of time at Leader (corner of Main and Conduit St.) looking at funny cards and cocktail napkins.

Enjoy!
Thanks TD. We spent about an hour in the Museum/Museum Store on Monday. Did you know that they carry the tea from South Carolina, this country's only tea plantation? It is the tea served at the White House and is excellent. Next time you are in Annapolis you may want to pick some up. I am thinking of lunch at either Cafe Normandy, an old beloved restaurant, or crepes at Softi's down by the dock, a place that would be new to me.

Other restaurants we ate at include Castlebury Irish Pub because it is one of the few places with Guinness on draft and some Vietnamese place across the street from Clay Bakers because we like Vietnamese food except as it turned out, not at that place. I would not recommend it. After lunch I will either wander down to Paca, or back up to the State House again and explore the Pottery on the way . Come to think of it there is a good Irish restaurant, Galway Bay, that is near the State house so maybe I will do that for lunch.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:20 PM

Oh good re Museum Store. No, I didn't know about the SC tea. Softi's is new to me as is the Vietnamese place. Galway is good hearty food; Harry Browne's better (and more expensive).

Further up West St. Tsunami's was excellent but I don't know if it opens only for dinner.

Yes, Cafe Normany was an old friend to us as well.

How much longer are her classes?
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Oh good re Museum Store. No, I didn't know about the SC tea. Softi's is new to me as is the Vietnamese place. Galway is good hearty food; Harry Browne's better (and more expensive).

Further up West St. Tsunami's was excellent but I don't know if it opens only for dinner.

Yes, Cafe Normany was an old friend to us as well.

How much longer are her classes?
Today was the last session. I am grateful for your suggestion re Wm. Paca House. I decided to do that and stop for lunch first at Galway Bay since it is so close to Wm Paca and it was excellent - a nice lamb stew with what seemed to be a Guiness based sauce. The lamb was super tender. This must be parent's weekend at the Academy and the streets were full of newbies in their whites walking around with their parents, as was Galway's. The table next to mine all had the fish and chips and I heard them remarking it was some of the best that they ever ate.
I got to the Paca house and there was a guided tour beginning in about 10 minutes, so the timing was great. The docent was very knowledgable and the tour was well worth the reasonable $9 fee. It was billed for an hour tour which would give me plenty of time to get to the camp and pick up GD. However it ran long and I had to leave before it was done and did not see the gardens, so will come back with DW. She would enjoy it.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 11:05 AM

Glad you got a part of Paca. For sure your DW would like the gardens. FWIW, my brother turned one of the lamp posts near a little garden house!

Oh, did the docent pronounce it 'PAYka' or 'Packa'?
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Glad you got a part of Paca. For sure your DW would like the gardens. FWIW, my brother turned one of the lamp posts near a little garden house!

Oh, did the docent pronounce it 'PAYka' or 'Packa'?
PAYka, which surprised me. He did very well finding wealthy wives, especially the first one which is how he could build that place. It was my first time on Prince George street and it is a very attractive street. With the 18th century buildings and cobblestone paving it brings one back to another time.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 08:37 AM

Very true. FWIW, when I was temping, I worked for one of the descendants. Rolodex was filled with fancy addresses!

Annapolis has an active Historic Society that closed monitors building.....except when big $$$$ get involved....
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 08:13 AM

It should read 'closely monitors'. Hope this is long enough.