Family Vacation Ideas

Aug 11th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Family Vacation Ideas

So my wife and I are trying to find something to do with our son next April-May 2019. He will be a few months short of 2 at the time of the vacation. We need some input on some places to go and things to do at those places. We are from El Paso TX. We are looking at a week long vacation. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Aug 11th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Fly? Drive? What sorts of things do your enjoy?
Aug 11th, 2018, 04:55 PM

At the age of two, your kid will remember zero about this vacation... pick something your wife wants to do, and have grandma babysit... the wife will remember the trip and she deserves it...
Aug 11th, 2018, 09:33 PM

I agree your child won't remember this trip. But it will be your vacation, so it needs to be enjoyable for all three of you. Or at least not miserable.

If you want to do something out of Texas, I think a trip to San Diego would be a great option. I did a quick look on Kayak and it's not an expensive plane ticket.

Spend your days with a day at the San Diego Zoo (quite well known), a day at Legoland, and then days at the beach, wandering the Old Town area, perhaps visiting the USS Midway or Balboa Park. Your toddler will need naps. Take turns going out for a run or walk, or even to go shopping, spa treatment. This is also your vacation too.

We particularly enjoyed Legoland because it wasn't as frantic or stressful as most amusement parks. Many local residents get annual passes and they aren't frantic about getting to all of the activities because they come all the time. There are legos to build together. And rides you make go with your feet etc.
Aug 12th, 2018, 07:53 AM

When our kids were two, we took them to New York (they both loved it, when they get tired, they sleep in the stroller, when they're awake, they love the activity all around them) and to Hawaii (obviously, the opposite of Manhattan - relaxing, beaches, pools, lava, forests). The point is they'll enjoy almost anything you plan.

I think San Diego is a great idea for its mix of kid- and adult-friendly activities..
Aug 12th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Hi. Do things which you are interested in and make awesome memories. Your child may not remember any of it, but the photos and vids you will be taking, he will be looking at those years from now. Have fun!
Aug 16th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the assistance. We are looking for a nice relaxing vacation. Potentially grandma babysitting, but just incase she can't something we can take him with us and have a some what relaxing vacation. Working in the military we don't get as much relaxing time as we would like so we are trying to do this as our relaxing time. I was thinking cruise. Just some place to eat and relax and enjoy the views.
Aug 16th, 2018, 06:13 AM

You will either love or hate Cruises... Look at all inclusive resorts if you are not sure about a cruise... the downside of the cruise is having to get on and off the ship at each port... with a baby, stroller, gear, and stuff, the fun is reduced...
Aug 16th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Recommendations for all inclusive resorts? I don't mind going outside the country, but would prefer to stay in the U.S. if possible.
Aug 16th, 2018, 04:40 PM

not knowing what part of Texas you are in, there are direct flights from Houston to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic which is the all-inclusive capital of the world. should be some directs from there to other carribbean destinations also.San Diego would be an excellent option IMO. if you go with baby, look at Outer Banks, NC, or Roatan Island, Honduras. if Grandma steps in, look at Savannah, Charleston, or Cabo San Lucas.
Aug 17th, 2018, 03:56 AM

oops. now i see your from el paso so houston flights may not be good option. sorry
Aug 17th, 2018, 05:46 AM

Kids under 2 ride free on Amtrak. Ride the Sunset Limited east to New Orleans or west all the way to Los Angeles. Tucson is on the way if you wanted a closer trip. The Sunset Limited runs 3 days/week each direction from El Paso.
Aug 17th, 2018, 06:52 AM

I think a cruise is a terrific idea. Yeah, you might hate it, but how will you know? The big cruise lines have babysitting services, kids activities (including day care for toddlers) and the benefit is that you unpack once and don't think about logistics for a minute. They're also usually great value on a per-person-per-day basis. In April/May there are 5- and 7-night itineraries out of Galveston, or umpteen alternatives if you don't mind flying to south Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale etc.)
Aug 17th, 2018, 10:19 AM

San Diego would be fun for all three of you.

Search this Thread