Search

San Deigo and Disneyland trip for 3 year old birthday in 5 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Deigo and Disneyland trip for 3 year old birthday in 5 days

Hi all,

My family (2 adults and 1 kid) are going on a 5 days San Deigo and Disneyland trip in November 09 with a budget of $1000 (for everything incl. food) or so. We plan to fly to San Diego, Ca and spend 1 day in Seaworld and 1 day in Legoland. I've been to disneyland many times but this is my first with my family and first time to Seaworld and Legoland.

Question: Is that enough time for my toddler to enjoy both parks, what are the must sees for a 3 year old, where can I get discounted tickets for the family? Idea for good hotel location near park ($).

Then we drive down to Disneyland for 3 days. Plan to spend 1 day Disneyland and 1 day California Adventure and 3rd day visit "Garment District" for shopping. Then we fly back home from there.

Question: Should we just focus on Disneyland since I heard California Adventure caters mostly teens and adults or what would you suggest. Must do and see for 3 year old. Also we are celebrating her 3rd birthday, should we try the character breakfast, dinner or something, is it worth the $$? Should I go for the Disneyland hotels or the good neighbor hotels?

Thanks for the ideas, appreciate it.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not a big fan of California Adventure,but for 3 year olds there are some cool things. The Bug's World area, The Muppet Show and the Monster's Inc. ride would be good.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM

I am sorry, but as I remember my children at this age - are you sure your daughter has enough stamina for 5 days in 4 different parks, and then a day of shopping?

Have you traveled with her before?
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM

We went with our friends 3-4 year old to Disneyland and she cried and hated it because she didn't understand the characters all dressed up..it scared her.
Went to Legoland in Carlsbad and she was super happy!
Knotts Berry Farm is another great alternative.
SD Zoo and Wild Animal Park are great too.
Have a great time in SD..
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I remember my son at this age, too. The extended family went to Sea World with my 3 year old, and at the end he was too exhausted to walk unless my older brother chased him with the Shamu puppet. Then he could run, but not walk, to the parking lot.

Your child and your budget may appreciate a day of down time, say, a day at the beach in San Diego. What you are doing is so special for her birthday, that you may not need add-ons like a character breakfast (and I agree that they can be scary).

My son loved Lego Land! It's great for the young ones, and fairly low key.

Kids at this age sometimes do better with less stimulation, and more downtime, but your vacation sounds fun.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Others have made great points about what a typical 3 year old will want to do during vacation. However, to answer your questions about California Adventure, I think it's a great place for young children.

The Bug's Land area is a lot of fun for younger kids. Monsters Inc and the Muppet 3D show are also good, as is the Toy Story ride. But note that CA is under construction right now and you'll find a lot of walls up. Only a couple rides are closed, but the view isn't that pretty - though they purposely left it so you can see the construction progress, which is kind of neat.

If you have a couple days in the parks, you might want to get a multi-day park-hopper. This will let you go back and forth between the two parks. This can be nice to have, because if Disneyland is crowded you can hop over to CA for a few hours then go back to Disneyland.

For hotels, unless you want the experience of staying at a Disney hotel, there are many more affordable places to stay right across the street from the parks. Anaheim also has a good shuttle system from most of the local hotels to the resort.

Character dining can also be fun for kids, but if your 3-year old doesn't get a kick out of meeting Micky Mouse in person it might not be worth it.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM

My then 3-1/2 year old son loved his first trip to Disneyland, but he was so exhausted by evening (and we didn't get there until lunchtime) that he slept through that old Michael Jackson 3D thing (and it was very loud!). My point is that while your child may love it, I have to agree with the others that it's a lot, perhaps too much, over a 5-day period. I'd probably do every other day at a park, with the in-between days at the beach.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, I can agree, 4 parks in 5 days sounds exhausting for me what more a 3 year old. So I decided that we would either go to Sea World or Legoland for one day and spend one day by the beach or just hang around the hotel swimming pool. We are going in November, hows the weather around that time? Would it be best to stay in one of those hotels near the beach? Any suggestions? Sea World or Legoland, I'm leaning more towards legoland.

We still have Disyneyland on the list but probably skip the shopping.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:03 AM

The weather is pretty good in San Diego/Anaheim year-round. In November expect high 60s to low 70s and usually no rain, though they are warning of an El Nino. I took my kids to Seaworld/Legoland/SD Zoo one spring break and I/they was exhausted. If I were to do it again we would cut off Legoland. We did not feel like we got enough bang for our buck and the kids were not crazy about it.

There is a Go San Diego card that we used. As I remember, we paid about $70 or $80 for each card (cheaper for kids) and it allowed admission to the Legoland and the Zoo but not Seaworld. Still, it saved us a bundle. At Disneyland/CA Adventure is probably a two day thing if you want to do it leisurely versus rushed. There is plenty to see and do at CA Adventure as has been pointed out. However, the bulk of time will likely be spent at Disneyland. Finally, try to budget another $500.00 if you can. Admission to Seaworld and Disneyland for 3 alone will cost you around $400.00 not counting food/toys, etc. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM

I would suggest you take an umbrella stroller on your trip. We used one for our daughter on her first trip to Disneyland at 3 1/2 and it was useful without being cumbersome. She walked a lot but used the stroller when her little legs gave out.
Check the Disneyland web site for park hours before you go so you can plan out your days. During off season, the park hours are more limited.
Our daughter was so excited to meet Mickey Mouse but when we got there, she was scared of the characters. All photos show her standing an arm's length from them all. Our six year old granddaughter loved the character breakfast but I thought it was very pricey for what you get.
With your budget, Disneyland hotels probably wouldn't fit in plus I didn't feel they were anything special unless you stay at the expensive California Grand. There are other good hotels close to Disneyland. Some of our friends like the Fairfield Inn. You can get discount tickets for many of the California parks at AAA or the web site Get Away Today.
Have a great trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I keep looking at that budget -- $1000 for everything for 5 days for 2 adults and 3 yo. I don't think that is possible w/ Disneyland/CA Adventure, another park, rental car/gas, food, hotel etc etc.

Just don't think $200 a day is possible for everything . . . . .
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM

Definitely take a stroller. The big parks were exhausting for our toddler. I look back and think our little one would have been happier at the beach or the zoo.

It was all a bit overstimulating for him, he wanted his stroller, and really didn't enjoy the (rather expensive) day at Disney World. Our older child, age 7, was the perfect age, however.

Since your budget is tight, I think it's a good plan to spend a day at a park, and then relax at the beach and/or the pool a day or two.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM

Don't forget sunblock and much more water then you usually need. Yes, in November.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Two days at Disneyland for the three of you, plus $12 a day parking (which you'll save if you stay w/i walking distance) will cost $433 w/o any food or souvenirs. That is just for DL/CA admissions - leaving you $567 for everything else for 5 days.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM

You will be able to get a very inexpensive hotel rate at Disneyland that time of year.

Definitely go with off site ie Good Neighbor on Harbor Blvd. You probably won't need to park or use the ART shuttle.

Usually you will get a discount on park tickets if you buy them online ahead of time.

I wouldn't pay for Parkhopper tickets with a 3-year old. Even a one-day visit may be enough, too. For the other day you could do a character breakfast at one of the hotels (perhaps that would be good for day 1, it might be a good way to acclimate to the characters!) I like the Paradise Pier buffet best, because it is Hawaiian themed and they do activities like limbo & hula with the children.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM

Is that 1,000 for hotel too? I am confused and stuck on the budget like janisj...
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM

You might want to try bidding on Priceline for your hotels so you can cut some costs.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your response, I will remember all your tips. I can go over my 1000 budget but will try those discount tips that you have shared.

I have not booked anything yet, still looking for great deals.

Will keep you posted ;0)
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM

$1000 is barely going to cover all of your amusement park tickets!

http://www.mousesavers.com/legoland.html#admission