Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Annapolis, Alexandria or Baltimore for 1 night stop?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:43 AM
nina

We will be driving through the Washington/Baltimore area and need to stay over for the night. I've been to Washington a number of times and would like to stay somewhere new.

Which of the above spots would be best for a short, one night visit? I would like to be in a nice area with some close by (within walking distance) sightseeing and restaurants. Can anyone who's been give me some advice? Thanks.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:40 AM
ellen

Annapolis would fit the bill. There's a Marriott right on the water and a Loew's a bit further inland. There are also several B&Bs right in town. There are also a half a dozen hotels right off Route 50 as you enter the Annapolis area.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:08 AM
Ann

Any of those three would be worth a stop. I think you should choose based on which is the most convenient with regard to your route into and out of the area.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:00 PM
George

With its compact size, Annapolis fills the bill.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:50 PM
a

It really depends what you like. Baltimore is a city and, therefore, it will be crowded with more restaurants and tourit attractions.

Alexandria, because of its proximity to DC, has plent of restaurants. It feels bigger than Annapolis. Also, driving around there you will face the DC traffic.

Annapolis is a great place just to relax and enjoy the water or grounds of the Naval Academy. It does not have a big city feel at all. However, there are no traditional tourist sights available.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:53 PM
Rita

Old Town in Alexandria may have what you are looking for in restaurants and places to see all in walking distance.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Nikki

Annapolis has many tourist sports and is a really easy city to get around in (unless it's Powerboat show or Sailboat show or Navy game) We have the fantastical U.S. Naval Academy and you can tour it - we have a delightful harbor and you can sit at little outdoor tables at several of the restaurants and watch the boats go in and out of Ego Alley. You can tour our State Capitol up on State Circle, or one of the oldest churches on Church Circle. There are way too many great restaurants on Main street plus a hundred others across the bridge in Eastport. There are four homes of men who signed the Declaration of Independence there available for touring along with the William Paca house. You can go off into almost any cove and find some of the best crab treats there is to be found!!

Problem is you'll probably have to come back to Annapolis after your first visit cause you'll really enjoy it.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:14 PM
nina

Thanks for the replies. Are there any charming, historical neighborhoods for strolling in Annapolis?