Best & Worst of Chicago Hotels

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:28 AM
HOHO

Best & Worst of Chicago Hotels

Family traveling to Chicago in Aug. We are thinking of staying near ESPN Zone, Navy Pier, Michigan Ave. Any recommendations on where to stay/definitely avoid? Looking in the $100-$150 range.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Sara

We liked the Holiday Inn City Center. It is handy for Navy Pier, Michigan Ave and ESPN. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are great views from the higher floors. The skyscrapers lit up at night while you swim up and down the pool (excellent health club) are fantastic. Also there is a great coffee shop on the premises.
Have fun

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Laurie

The new Le Meridien hotel is nice and you can usually get good deals on quikbook.com within that price range. Also, in that price range in the area you are looking is the Hilton Garden, Marriott, Embassy Suites (there is one on State Street and also one on Lake Shore Drive), possibly the Intercontinental. Can't think of anything in that area that I would avoid. Good luck.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
HOHO

Thanks for the ideas. Did you have to pay valet charges for parking? As first time visitors to the area, how difficult is it to navigate the city? (I realize that's a subjective question!) Is Navy Pier within walking distance to the hotels mentioned? thanks for the help!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Ang

All tourist sights are within walking distance or a very short cab ride (less than $5) from the hotels mentioned. You will NOT want to use your car once you get to Chicago. I live here and am very attached to my car but when traveling downtown even I cab it as parking would be ridiculous. Your hotels are all going to charge for parking. It is usally about $30/day for parking at hotels maybe more if you want valet in/out privileges. Public parking can be found for about $20/day but depending on where you stay, the closest parking garage may be a hike from your hotel. For families, my firsty choice would be Embassy Suites. Resonable price (musch cheaper than say the Mariott or Intercontinental) good location, free breakfast included, and the bonus of a suite type room which works well for families. Stay away from the Red Roof Inn off Michigan Ave (used to be Motel 6) in a good location and looks nice from the outside but kind of dirty and very rundown on the inside.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:44 AM
patg

There is a free shuttle to Navy Pier. Just ask at your hotel. It's much easier than parking on the pier.

Prepare yourself for walking in the Michigan Avenue area. Driving is hard on the nerves, and not that much faster than walking. Avoid driving between 10:30 and 4 on the weekend, and avoid rush hour (8-9:30 and 3:30-6) during the week.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Nick

Avoid the Congress Plaza hotel because the room was so old that the closet doors didn't even shut. The TV must have been 25 years old and the remote control was wrapped in tape! Don't use the phone for long distance because a 2 minute call to Michigan was almost $9! Parking was $20 a night and I had to pay cash!
The only good thing was that it's in a prime location with Chicago's main attractions about a mile away.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:31 PM
arjay

As noted, parking is going to really whop you anywhere in downtown Chicago. One option would be to park in one of the public lots near the Kennedy Expressway (at River Road or Cumberland) and take the el/subway into the city. Otherwise, you will have to plan on at least $17/day in parking lot fees.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:29 PM
topper

to the top

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:47 PM
RacyT

Best Western River North. LaSalle (?) and Ohio.

Usually about $99 a night, free parking. May require 2 night stay on a weekend.

As I live in Chicago, I haven't stayed in that many hotels here, but friends tell me it's fine for the price.

It ain't the Ritz, but you're not gonna get that for $100 a night!

HTH,
Racy

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:18 PM
xxx

Go to biddingfortravel.com and read and then go bid on a 4 star hotel and you should be right in your price range. It will get you a much nicer hotel than the ones you have been looking at.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Fiona

Hi there,
Try the new Embassy Suites by Navy Pier. They are not even 1 year old yet. We stayed there at Christmas time and they were very nice and we walked most everywhere. My niece just got reservations on Hotwire for about $159.00 per night. They have a nice breakfast buffet and evening happy hour too.
Have Fun!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:24 PM
cece

Go to Priceline and look for a place in the Miracle Mile, North Michigan Avenue

I got the Westin for $100 a night. Others have gotten it for even less.

Have a great trip!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:26 PM
janice

Just got back from Chicago and stayed at the Hotel Inn city centre and thought it was great. I got it for 109.00 at hotelkingdom.com. It was 20.00 for parking. WE parked our car and left it there for the whole trip. We could walk to Navy Pier and Michigan ave no problems. We would catch the bus there to take us to the Aquarium , Museum and Planeterum.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:58 PM
HOHO

I see topper revived my very old e-mail and since this original post, we had chosen Homewood Suites - 2 kids/2 adults. I hope this will place us near enough to the trolley for Navy Pier and walking to Magnificent Mile. I thought it would also be best to take a cab from Midway. What about Hancock tower and ESPN Zone -- is that within walking distance? How about the Original Pancake House? Or maybe a good place for Chicago dogs or Pizzeria Uno?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:30 PM
Ann

The bus to the Navy Pier stops in front of the Homewood Suites. The walk to Michigan Ave. is slightly indirect as Grand passes under Mich. Ave. We walked through the lobby of the Marriott Hotel (one block to the left from H.S.'s door) and the other enterence is right on Michigan Ave. The Shopping mall across the street is now open, so i'm sure you can get to Mich. Ave. by walking through that as well. It's not at all bad. I think the Hancock Tower is less than a mile up Michigan Ave. and very walkable. I don't know where ESPN Zone is, but if it's the former DisneyQuest, it's around the corner from the hotel.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:21 PM
HOHO

Wow, Ann. I guess I lucked out and thanks for the good info! I can't wait to take the family. Compared to Louisiana for Humidity in August, what can we expect of Chicago?