Search

Anaheim tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Jayne1973

Anaheim tips?

I am spending a couple of days at a hotel in Anaheim in August with a friend who is attending a convention. I'll have some free time during the day and we'll also have some time on a Friday night. Any ideas on what to do during a weekday and what we can do (besides Disney) in the evenings.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are near Disneyland, go to downtown Disney. Lots of restaurants and night life there. Also try going to Laguna Beach for the Sawdust Festival and the beach scene. If you are into musuems, try the Bowers in Santa Ana. Or you can drive to Newport Beach and walk the pier or go to Balboa Island. You don't say if you have a car or not or what your age is, so I have just given you some basic ideas. There are various places around Anaheim that you could visit but like any place in Orange County, you need a car.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Thanks! Yes, I believe we'll have a car. We are both in our 40s and pretty adventurous. What's at Balboa Island?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:37 AM

The main streer on Balboa Island oozes charm with quaint shops and a lot of local atmosphere. There is a ferry boat that takes you across the channel to balboa penninsula that is fun. There are electric boats that you can rent where you can see the area from the bay side.

On the Pennisula there is a fun zone with a merry-go-round and a bit of a carnival atmosphere.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:44 AM
SmilesTravel

Anaheim itself is simply the pits!!! Whatever you do, get out of it as much as you can. It's good for only conventions, where you're too busy to do anything, and Disney. What choices. Good luck.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:01 AM

SmilesTravel is unfortunately 100% right. Anaheim was orange groves and strawberry fields-- now it's Disney, Convention Center, hotels and suburban Hell. Not the best representation of Orange County's pleasures (and there are quite a few), let alone those of the rest of southern California.

During the day, Newport Beach is a great diversion, and if you have a shopping jones, you can satisfy it at Fashion Island, in Newport Center. Costa Mesa's South Coast Plaza is another shopping paradise, if that's your thing.

Huntington Beach is Surf City, and it's a built-up beach community with a fair dose of the OC surfer/slacker attitude that you just don't get elsewhere. A lot of fun.

Friday evening, you can head down to Laguna Beach and hit the Festival of the Arts, then hit one of the many great restaurants down there. Actually, in the evenings you can also head to Seal Beach and get a taste of a more laid-back OC beach community, or up to Long Beach's Belmont Shore (centered on our Second Street) for a fun little shopping/dining mecca that's practically locals-only (and that makes it more of a find). That's my stomping grounds, so if you have questions let me know.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:36 PM

Wow, thanks a lot -- I am starting to get excited about this trip!