Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 full day of free time. Working in Anaheim...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for something interesting to do that is not related to malls or museums.
I like walking around quaint towns with lots of interesting shops. I like feeding seagulls, beach combing and people watching. I like hiking.
I am a fraidy-cat, so it must not be an isolated place.
Willing to drive. My Dallas commute to work exceeds 1 hour each way... driving up to 1.5 hours each way for fun is no problem for me.
I am very comfortable driving in LA level traffic. I have been to LA dozens of times... always north of LAX, always driving. I travel all over the US and drive in the biggest/baddest cities, all the time. I have a talent for navigation and have no fear when it comes to driving.
I am not eating out, so restaurants are not really attractive. I plan to pick up food at Whole Foods or similar. Maybe I will eat at a park...? I have military ID, if that is needed for a specific location or beach.
Anyway, looking at the map there are load of possibilities.
Anything come to mind?
Thanks so much!!!
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Well, first of all, get out of Anaheim. I recommend driving down the coast. If you could get yourself to PCH near Seal Beach Boulevard, then head south on PCH, through Sunset Beach (watch the speed limit), along Bolsa Chica Beach, and keep going. Stop and walk a little on Main Street in Huntington Beach, & to the end of the Pier. It's summer, and will be crowded, but HB is a great place. If you continue down PCH, find the street that takes you along the peninsula (Balboa Blvd) and follow it to the end watching signs for the Balboa ferry. Before you get to the ferry, you'll see a few places to wander around by the beach, or just get on the ferry (takes about a minute) and get off on Balboa Island, turn right for a few blocks & you can wander around shops if you want, or just take that ferry for the fun of it, & work your way across the island back to PCH (bridge on that side). If you want to hike, you can check the possibilities in the Back Bay. http://www.daytrippen.com/newportbackbay.html
(Not sure if that will feel isolated.)
I'm living in Austin now, but that area is home. Love both places. Have fun! There's lots more to see if you keep driving south.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Luv! Would I take the car on the ferry? I can't tell if that means on foot or with the car.
Perfect suggestions for me.
Curious... not for this one day but for after work, is there a big outlet mall (along the lines of San Marcos) within driving distance of Anaheim?
You are so lucky to have lived in 2 great places! Austin is one of my favorite places. One day I hope to move to the Hill Country, somewhere around Medina.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Carlsbad is about 1 1/2 hrs from anaheim, near the beach and seagulls, has a walkable town & an outlet mall with some good stores
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM

FrankS's idea for an outlet mall is good, but after work, you might need more time to get there. It is a great location for an outlet mall. As far as the Balboa ferry, I just think it's fun, and it really is over in a blink! You would take the car (it holds about 3 cars and only costs about $3.00), because you can take it one way & drive off the island on the other side. Remember, this is in a very populated area, you might not even realize you are on an island, but it is a great area; I love walking around there. You can just walk on & take the ferry across and back & walk around both sides of it if you want to park the car in one of the lots by the beach instead. Everything is very close & well sign-posted.
If you want something to do after work without driving too far, you might want to go over to Downtown Disney if you've never done that. You get a little theme park atmosphere without going into the park. There is 3-hour free parking, too. You could eat there at an outdoor table & people-watch. Being Disney, it's a cute area, lots of twinkling lights.
Another thought for your day off, too, is to go over to Catalina Island. I love it there & for being right in California, once you are there, it really feels like you've gone 'away from it all'. It's about $60 round trip on the boat, which goes from several locations.
http://catalinaexpress.com/ I was there in July & made a point of spending a few hours on Catalina.
You need more time!!!