Amtrak's 40th birthday

Search

Amtrak's 40th birthday

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Amtrak's 40th birthday

Editorial in today's Elmira Star Gazette : http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Note the 17 consecutive months of passenger growth.
When I have lots of time and don't want to drive, I ride Amtrak.
Do you really like the taxi ride to and from the airport? I also like the Amtrak Police Department better than the TSA.
Do you intend to take an Amtrak trip in the next year?
Happy birthday to Amtrak! Next Saturday May 7, 2011 is National Train Day.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i won't be in the US for train day and i'm not in the US today either but i've got plenty of travel on Amtrak to look forward to in July

When i have time i much prefer taking the train in the US, thanks to time limitations i had to fly from CHI-EWR last September and that was a flight i'd rather not remember anytime soon..

Happy Birthday to Amtrak and here's to the next 40 years!
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM

Recently flew from west coast to east coast visited relatives there, took the train down to Virginia to visit relatives, took the train down to Georgia, visited relatives and flew home from Ga. The train trip was by far the most enjoyable part of the trip. No hassles, on time, a "quiet" car with no cell phones, crying babies or loud people, a dining car, a snack car, plug ins for electronic gear, all luggage at your fingertips if needed etc. Cost was cheaper than flying. Only drawback, time. But I have LOTS of that!!

Will definetly look to Amtrak for future travel.
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM

The train is definitely much more comfortable than flying. And is a realistic option in the NE corridor (DC up to Boston).

However, in other areas:

Trains don;t go many places (inclding a significant umber of fairly sizable cities)

When there are trains they are often late - VERY late (it once took my uncle more than 5 hours from DC to nearby VA)

Flying is often cheaper
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM

My DH commutes on Amtrak often. Most of the time, he really likes it. We are in the PNW though and slides are a real issue in the fall/winter. He had one trip in Dec. that normally takes 4 hours and turned into 10, so he wasn't a happy camper But overall, it works well. Much cheaper than driving, and he can get work done, nevermind saving miles and wear and tear on the car.

nytraveler--It very much depends on the route as to whether or not flying would be cheaper. Between Seattle and Portland it is much cheaper to take Amtrak. Flights are usually around $100 each way, yet the train can be as low as $30.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM

On cheapness, i met people last summer who were flying from LAX-NYC, this was costing them $300, whereas i paid $210 on Amtrak, true it took me rather longer but as i don't drive it was the only way i was going to be able to see the US and it saved me money on hotels
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Tom--I thought of this thread last night as I boarded my train. I saw several TSA men on the platform. It surprised me a bit, but they just nodded and smiled, and off I went.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM

When I have time and Amtrak goes there, I love to take the train. Will be on the Sunset Limited New Orleans to LA later this month.