Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where can I find New Orleans's best Sazerac and Ramos Gin Fizz?

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi New Orleans experts!
I'm heading down to the Big Easy next week for Jazz Fest and am on a mission to find the city's best cocktail. I know the Hurricane is synonymous with Pat O'Brien's, the Carousel Bar invented the Vieux Carre, and the best French 75 is found at its namesake bar. But what about the city's two most famous cocktails? Where do you go for the best Sazerac or Ramos Gin Fizz?

Thanks for your recommendations!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd start with the Hermes Bar at Antoine's -
http://www.antoines.com/
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM

If you're really serious about your Ramos Gin Fizz, I mean really serious, I'd head straight to Bar UnCommon, in the lobby of the Renaissance Pere Marquette Hotel, where you will find the legendary, incomparable, world famous Chris McMillian, on Wednesday through Saturday evenings. Here's a video about the Ramos Fizz that he made back when he was working at the Library Bar at the Ritz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj417erX2W8 Having enjoyed Chris' Ramos Fizz myself I'd endorse his recommendation that it would be the perfect first drink of the day. It's wonderfully foamy, light, and soothing. You could have it with breakfast. Or for breakfast. And by the way, I like Chris' Vieux Carré Cocktail more than the one they make at the Carousel Bar in the Monteleone Hotel, where the drink was invented. Although it's true, the Carousel Bar would be the more historically correct choice.

The Sazerac Cocktail is a more complicated matter. The great bartenders of New Orleans have various different ways of making the Sazerac, and you may want to explore a little to find the style that suits you best. Chris will certainly make you an excellent one. His most visibly unique touch is the use of Herbsaint Legendre, which I believe is the original recipe, rather than the usual Herbsaint that is used by most bartenders.

Chris Hannah at the French 75 Bar is also brilliant, and makes a fantastic and unique Sazerac. He pre-chills both the rye and the glass, which means that he's able to make the drink without using ice. This results in a drink that's a little more concentrated, but certainly doesn't come off as harsh or overly strong. I love the way the drink evolves as it warms up, amongst the wafting aromas of 92 years' worth of cigar smoke, in the beautiful French 75 Bar.

Paul, the weekend bartender at Tujague's, another legendary figure who has been mixing drinks in the Quarter for over 30 years, has a very unique and different style. Whereas most bartenders use maybe 4-5 dashes of Peychaud's, Paul pours in the equivalent of maybe 12. It results in a somewhat sweeter, but still delicious drink.

You might also try the newest establishment to license the term "Sazerac Bar," which is in the recently renovated Roosevelt Hotel. It's a gorgeous bar, with excellent bartenders, although they don't have the legendary status of the ones I've mentioned above. If you order a Sazerac at the Sazerac Bar, you'll get a drink made with Sazerac Rye, rather than the Old Overholt that everyone else uses. Sazerac Rye is aged for six years, rather than Old Overholt's four, and is a bit more expensive. I suppose it wouldn't look right if the Sazerac Bar licensed the Sazerac name, and then used rye with a different name on it.

I would have only one concern about your cocktail mission. I've never been to New Orleans during Jazz Fest, but having spoken to many bartenders and restaurant staffers about what goes on there, I'm convinced that Jazz Fest is far from the best time to savor and appreciate the best food and cocktails that the city has to offer. The experience of sitting in a historic bar, slowly sipping a gorgeous cocktail made by one of America's finest mixologists, is, to me, an experience to be treasured. I fear that, during Jazz Fest, even the most high-end bars will be uncomfortably mobbed, and the bartenders will be forced to simply mass-produce drinks that will get people plastered at a rapid, assembly line-like pace. It's likely that a lot of the drinks won't even be made by the masters themselves, but by their assistants. I think I might find that at worst heartbreaking, and, at best, not really indicative of the quality that can be had under better circumstances.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What fantastic information. Thank you so much! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't now sitting at my desk, craving a ramos gin fizz at 9 am.

I've heard Chris McMillian is the man when it comes to New Orleans cocktails, so that seems like a good place to start.

Has anyone had a sazerac or ramos gin fizz at Lafittie's Blacksmith Shop or the Carousel Bar? I'd love to hear what the rest of you think.

(And about being there for Jazz Fest--yes, I too think the city is going to be quite crazy. Luckily I've been to New Orleans several times, so I know how wonderful the relaxed pace can be. And I'm not expecting that this trip. But, I will be there the entire week, so I'm hoping the weekdays will be somewhat more chill than the festival weekend.)
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM

THis may provide some help - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/607253
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM

We tried a sazerac at Tujaques - we heard that it was a must-try and that we had to have it there. We didn't care for it, tasted like medicine - but we are not really into cocktails anyway, so what do we know? Maybe it was supposed to taste like that
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Looks like everyone's on the hunt for the best New Orleans cocktail. Thanks SAnParis2 for passing along that thread.

november_moon: you're right, the Sazerac is a serious cocktail. Not sure I'd be able to drink more than one!

Do you guys have a favorite cocktail in New Orleans, outside of the Sazerac or Ramos Gin Fizz?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM

You'll likely hear this a lot, but Pimm's Cup at Napolean House.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Yum! I've had that one, and it was delish. Might be my current favorite, too!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you're into the Pimm's Cup, you might want to try Chris McMillian's version, and see how you think it compares to the one at Napoleon House. I personally have only tasted the one at Napoleon House, but I saw Chris making a Pimm's Cup, and, well, it looked interesting. It was certainly more elaborate. Although, no matter how good it is, I still think there's something irreplaceable about drinking amongst the decaying walls of Napoleon House on a steamy afternoon, working up a bleary midday buzz, listening to classical music, and channeling the decadent malaise experienced by the poor New Orleanians of the early 1800's, when they were forced to recognize that Napoleon would not be coming to rescue them after all, and they might be stuck living with the Americans forever.

I wouldn't classify the Ramos Fizz as among my favorite cocktails. It's a light, soothing, refreshing drink, which may be more foam than liquid. Pleasant, but not really deeply moving.

MollyM, are you inquiring about favorite cocktails that are specific to New Orleans (like, for example, an Absinthe Suisesse), or just well-made drinks that happen to have been made by bartenders in New Orleans?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM

I have found that many bartenders in New Orleans make an excellent Bloody Mary. I especially love when they put a dash of Guinness in, and of course, the spicy green beans are the perfect garnish.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

hawksbill, that would be an interesting experiment--master Chris McMillian vs the tried and true Napoleon House.

I really am open to any drink suggestions, but I am especially interested in cocktails that represent the Big Easy. I know Pimm's Cup is British, but I do associate it with New Orleans (thanks to Napoleon House).

And wow, that Bloody Mary sounds phenomenal. I'm sure I'll need at least one of those during the week!
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 06:30 PM

I drank Sazeracs all over the place last week. The bartenders at the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone made the best, in my opinion. The Sazerac finishes a lot different than the way it starts in your mouth; the Carousel Bar provided a drink with the easiest transition. Lovely drink.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Bowsprit, I've never had a Sazerac at the Carousel Bar. Did you happen to notice what they did differently? I ask because I'm trying to refine my own recipe...

I suppose that a comprehensive tour of New Orleans cocktails should probably include an Absinthe Frappe, or an Absinthe Suisesse, or both. I think that Old Absinthe House is probably the most traditional spot for the Absinthe Frappe, but I can't say that I've had one.

Another drink with a traditional home is the Obituary Cocktail at Lafitte's Blacksmith House, but I've never heard of it being offered elsewhere in New Orleans.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Oops - that should of course be Lafite's Blacksmith Shop.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:58 AM

They swirl anisette around the interior of the small glass before they add the cocktail for one thing. I don't know what else they did or even what kind of alcohol was used (well or call, but I didn't request a brand) but it was the smoothest Sazerac of many I had in New Orleans. : )
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM

Bowspirit: That was presumably Herbsaint that they swirled around the inside of the glass. Every Sazerac has that feature, though, so the Carousel Bar's special touch may have been something different. I will definitely plan to investigate this at my earliest convenience.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM

MollyM perhaps you've gone and are back? I just saw this thread. It has been many years since my visit to NO but DH says the original sazerac cocktail was made at Antoine's.

How was your search??
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:25 AM

hawksbill: No, it wasn't Herbsaint. I asked and he showed me. It was annisette and I think that's what made it 'different'. Good luck in your pursuits; the longitudinal study sounds like lots of fun. If you need a control group, post back. I'm sure you'd get many volunteers. I'll go first...
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM

http://www.nola.com/bar-guide/index....the_house.html

Born in the Big Easy lived there for years my fav.

Careful with the Absinthe very authentic not fake

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -