Amtrak to EWR - How Easy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a meeting in Midtown next week (375 Park) and flight times are more convenient at EWR. Looks like I'd take the Airtrain to Amtrak to Penn Station and then take the E line to 53rd/Lexington. Is this a major hassle and should I just take a car? Willing to put up with basic transfers though to avoid getting stuck in traffic with an overly garrulous driver. Will arrive EWR around 9:30 AM and need to be back for a 4:30 PM flight out. Thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Hi - you actually take NJ Transit - not amtrak - and it's very easy. I think it costs about $14 (which gets you a ride on the airtrain and njtransit). check out njtransit.com for schedules.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 11:24 AM

The Airtrain is just a little train connecting the EWR terminals with the parking garages and with the airport train station. It's as easy to get to the train station as it is to get to your parked car in the parking garage - just one more stop (though it costs $5 if you go through to the train station).

As was pointed out, NJ Transit is probably your best bet as it's going to be far cheaper than taking Amtrak. Just read the schedules carefully. Note that there is also a Newark Penn Station and you obviously want NYC Penn Station not Newark's.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Car service .. www.dial7.com

Yes, public transportation is a hassle.

If you have a midtown business meeting, take a car service.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

My understanding is that you can take either NJ Transit or Amtrak but that Amtrak was about 10 minutes faster (20 minutes vs 30 minutes). As I'm traveling on business, a few extra bucks doesn't bother me.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Car service is certainly more convenient (and more expensive), but I don't think the train is that much of a hassle - unless you're schlepping a lot of bags which it doesn't sound like you are. As noted NJTransit is more frequent and cheaper than Amtrak, but both leave from EWR's Train Station so you may want to decide when you get there and check the departure board for next available. And, yes, just don't get off at Newark's Penn Station.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Even though Amtrak stops at EWR tickets are usually sold for stops North of NYC. In addition the NJ Transit and Amtrak use the same two tracks in and out of the Hudson River tunnel leading into and out of NYC Penn Station. So one train can follow the other.
The fare on Amtrak from EWR to NYP can vary from $ 28 to $ 45 depending on the train vs $ 14 for NJ Transit.
Take the NJT train to NY Penn and take a taxi from there to your meeting.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Assuming you aren't restricted on cost when it comes to the train, take whatever comes first.

NJ Transit from the Newark Airport Station to Penn Station will be less money. But, depending on when you get there, the first train might be Amtrak.

Do you really want to wait?

In terms of the subway, yes take the E line.

Try and be near the back of the train that leaves the Newark Airport train station. This way, when you arrive at Penn Station NY, you head onto the concourse level on the west side of Penn Station.

Look for the signs for the subway and the E train (it'll also show the A and C line.) You want "uptown"

In terms of where to get off the train, you can get off either at The 5th Avenue stop or 53rd. I'd probably opt for the former as the 53rd street station can be hectic.

That should leave you on 53rd, either on the corner of 5th Avenue or the corner of Madison Avenue.

I'm in the Jefferies building at Madison and 53rd if you want to wave from the street below.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful. Thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Forgot to mention that all Amtrak trains are reserved trains meaning you must have ticket and a resevation to travel before you board that train. And sometimes they do run late. I don't even know if the conductors will let you board the Amtrak train without an Amtrak ticket and not with a NJ transit ticket as the base fare is higher. I guess you would have to find out when you get there.