Amtrak station Providence, Rhode Island

Sep 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Amtrak station Providence, Rhode Island

Hi, two quick questions!

How close to city center is the Amtrak station in Providence, RI? I mapquested it, but it's hard to tell the scale of things. A quick cab ride away from the center of Providence? A good walk? Or kind of a pain to get to?

We're hoping to take an Amtrak train from Providence to Boston in a few weeks, and avoid having a rental car in Boston.

That said, what can we do with out luggage while we're in Providence? Will the Amtrak station have lockers? Other suggestions?

Thank you!
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:18 AM

The station is right in the center of Providence, across the street from the state capitol and the Providence Place mall.

I don't know about luggage facilities.
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM

I don't know about luggage facilities either, but rest assured that the Providence station is pretty small and easy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Not sure if the schedule would work for you, but it's cheaper to take the MBTA Comuter train up to Boston from Providence.

Don't know about the luggage question, are you checking out of a hotel or something that day? Perhaps they can hold it for you.
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your responses!

We arrive in Providence late at night on a Tuesday, so we're staying near the airport that night, then we'll spend the day in the city the following day, before heading up to Boston. Leaving our luggage at the motel the during the day isn't an option, unfortunately!

We're ultimately going to rent a car in Providence and drive to Boston, I guess, because looking at our whole itinerary, it works out cheaper that way (after Boston, we head to Vermont).

We really wish we could take a train and avoid the car, but alas... THank you for your advice!