Search

Amtrak experience from Houston to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak experience from Houston to Chicago

Hi
I have never gone on Amtrak and plan to experience the train for the first time. How comfortable is the train in coach? I don't plan to book a room, and the trip is about 24 hrs.

Thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM

My experiences on Amtrak have been grim.

However, if you're young and there are loads of other young folks in your coach you'll probably have a good time.

Also, it's probably a good idea if you just want to kill 24 hours.

It's a good way to go if you're afraid of flying or if it's a lot cheaper than flying and you want to save money.

Pack a big picnic of your favorite foods and a few bottles of wine (if that's allowed).

HTtY

PS If the point of the trip is to find out what it's like to travel by train, I suggest a much shorter trip in the US or a longer trip in Spain, Japan, or someplace else that has good trains.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 04:11 AM
P_M

I've always found Amtrak to be many times more costly than flying so I have always opted for flying. I agree with the advice to take the train on a shorter trip, unless you REALLY want to do this.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Fly. Train is slow, delays are inevitable, it's not more comfortable to sit for 24 hours (plus) on Amtrak than for 2.5 hours on a flight.

If you really want to take a train trip, visit the Northeast where the Amtrak service and reliability is far better and you can go from one interesting city to another in a matter of a few hours.

Japanese trains are great - you can set your watch by them and they're clean and comfortable.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM

You will be sitting all the way like on a plain, only not confined. You can recline a little, and there is a pedal for legs - unless you are very short, it's not comfortable to sleep sitting up.

You can eat in the restaurant car ordering off a menu, or buy snacks. Unless elderly or disabled, you will be on the upper floor with better views. The restrooms are on the lower levels.

There are stops, but they usually warn not to get out of the train. You can get up and stretch your legs any time.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 03:07 PM

I did this route a couple of years ago. If you are not in a hurry TAKE THE TRAIN just for the experience and take with you a very good book.

Enjoy the ride.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM

If you are not in a hurry TAKE THE TRAIN just for the experience and take with you a very good book.

Tells you all you need to know.

HTtY
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM

I'm a fan of Amtrak, though not a starry-eyed one. Yes, I've had my share of bad (up to 6 hr) delays on long hauls, and overloaded, dirty trains. But I've also had some wonderful trips with pleasant service, comfort, and amazing views. Recently the on-time record seems to have improved thanks to some negotiations with the freight lines, (but of course there can be unexpected problems). I went CA to Chicago 2+ yrs ago and was only 45 mins behind schedule when we arrived.

I usually break up the trip w/ a real bed if going > 24 hrs, but 1 night in coach can be ok. Try to travel at off-peak times, because if you can get an empty seat next to you, you may be able to get some decent sleep. Sit away from the stairs and their overhead light. Take eye mask, ear plugs, and a neck pillow. Don't be afraid to talk to an attendant if the overhead lights are left on or other passengers are playing electronic devices loudly at night.

For me the train has multiple advantages. At worst, I feel exhausted at the end, but often after flying I feel ill from the lousy air, pressure changes, lack of exercise, and cramped seats (and overworked nerves). The train doesn't have the burdensome security checks and baggage fees, and for me it's easier and cheaper to get to the train station than to the airport. Their Guest Reward points result in a lot faster free trips than airline miles (for someone who doesn't fly extensively or 1 single airline). I've had some very relaxing times chatting with other travelers in the lounge or observation cars. And you're not contributing quite as much fossil fuel emission, esp in comparison to night flights.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking at your Amtrak choices from Houston to Chicago, You will have to take the 6022 bus from Houston to Longview. The Texas Eagle leaves Longview in the early evening and arrives if on schedule about 2PM. I would not want a 20 hour trip on the train after a long bus ride for my first Amtrak experience.
If you don't want to fly, either drive part way (St Louis?) or fly to Chicago from Houston.
The Texas Eagle is one of my least favorite routes out of Chicago. I would not choose to spend many hours in San Antonio and arrive in Chicago 24 hours later than the Longview/bus option. On time performance for September on the 22 Texas Eagle was 66.7%
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM

The seats ona train are more comfortable than on a plane and you can get up and walk up and down the aisles. This is a big advantage to me - and the reason I take the train NYC to Boston versus the planes. BUT - the length of the trip is the same.

The only Amtrak trips I have done longer than that have been hell - long delays, bad food, and by the end filthy toilets,. And that was only for about 9 hours. There is no way I would consider trying to spend the night sleeping sitting up in a chair.

If you want to try it - go ahead. But definitely take your own food, a couple of good books and be prepared to lose a night's sleep.