Amtrak Family Roundtrip from TOL to GWD

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak Family Roundtrip from TOL to GWD

My husband, 10 year old daughter and I are planning a trip in August 2007 from Toledo, Ohio to Greenwood, Mississippi. We'll be riding Coach seats for the 4 hour portion of the trip (Toledo to Chicago) and the Family Bedroom for the remaining 13 hours (Chicago to Greenwood), and vice versa.

#1 From about approximately 9am to 8pm we will be in Chicago, waiting for the next train to take us to Greenwood. What can we do for 11 hours in downtown Chicago? And is it true that we may not have that long to wait (meaning, Amtrak trains get delayed A LOT)??

#2 The Family Bedroom beds, according to Amtrak's website, "2 adults and 2 small children". Our 10 year old daughter is 5 feet tall NOW (and will probably have another growth spurt between now and August), so how big are those beds?

#3 All 3 of us are tall (hubby: 5 feet 10in; me 5 feet 9.5 in; and daughter 5 feet), so are there any recommended seats for the Coach section accommodate our long legs??

#4 Since we'll be in a Family Bedroom, any recommendations for the best one to choose (in terms of less noise and closest to the bathrooms)? Being close to the bathrooms is PRIORITY.

Thank you for answering my questions. This will be our first train trip.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:41 AM

#4 - I don't believe you have a choice about where your room is. It is on the bottom level of the car and there is a bathroom right next to it or very close.

The bed dimensions are here:http://tinyurl.com/coq8j
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Please do not interpret this as disrespectful... and you certainly have the right to no respond.
I am VERY curious what makes someone decide to make a trip like this via train.
It would never occur to me to do this... if I could not fly, I would simply drive (mine or a rental) and stay in hotels along the way. Much more comfortable and at my own pace.
I would think of a train for a scenic route through the rockies, or maybe along the coast.
I wish you a happy journey, no matter how you go!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM
GoTravel

The sleeping rooms are small, no way around it. You'll fit but you will not have lots of room.

Amtrak trains do get delayed a lot. You may not get in Chicago until 11AM but your outgoing train my not leave until 2AM.

Don't plan on having all four seats together from Toledo to Chicago but if you do it will be a nice treat.

Bring your own pillows and entertainment. Also, you may want to take a wheelie cooler with snacks and drinks.

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM

For your stopover in Chicago, I think your daughter might enjoy the Shedd Aquarium. My children love it!

www.sheddaquarium.org

TX - your comment cracked me up. I want to take a trip like this but my husband thinks I'm insane. I guess it is because I like scenery and I'm just curious about traveling an old fashioned way.

LadyPhoenix, I hope you report back after your trip and let us know your opinion of the train experience.

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

TXtravelpro, no, your question was not disrespectful. 3 reasons: Hubby likes to avoid flying at all costs; it's better than driving, and we enjoy the scenery (and have the time if not the money). We haven't purchased the tickets yet.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Hi Lady,

We enjoy AMTRAK a lot and have taken several trips on it. On one, we had the family bedroom with our grandson. It was fine, except for one major thing: the noise from the tracks. As it is located on the ground level floor, the noise was a real problem. Lots of screeching, squealing, etc.

If we did that again, I think we would just opt for coach all the way, as the noise prevented much sleep anyway.

The coach seats are relatively large and leg support things make them feel a bit like a recliner. I have never had a problem sitting with whomever I was with--the porters know how many people are traveling together and try to seat at least two together. They certainly would make sure that a ten year old is with at least one parent.

It is a fun way to travel if you're patient and adventureous.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM

#1. Amtrak trains travel on tracks owned by the freight railroads, and the freight RRs handle all of the traffic control, as well as all of the maintenance. Factors that can delay a passenger train are frequently out of Amtrak's direct control. The freight railroad's attitude regarding Amtrak can vary from indifference and apathy, to good faith, to hostility - and this can play a factor in how the frieght RR's treat Amtrak while on thier rails. Norfolk Southern is the "host" railroad (i.e., landlord), and they are indifferent at best to Amtrak's persence on their rails. Also, people may not be aware of just how much freight traffic travels by rail. There is so much freight on the line from Toledo to CHI that NS has insisted that Amtrak purchase additional track capacity if it wants to add trains along that line. Amtrak does not have the finding to do this, so we are left with the situation we are in today. Canadian National is the "host" railroad from CHI to Mississippi, and they have made statements similar to NS in that if people want better timeliness, then Amtrak (read: the gov't) has to pay for the additional track, as well as increased maintenance. Our elected representatives have been unwilling to find Amtrak at the level to do this, so the current situation, where Amtrak is shoe-horned in among a lot of freight traffic, exists. Both CN and NS are profit oriented companies, and they have made it clear that Amtrak should pay them more rent, pay for additional track maintenance and capacity, if people want Amtrak to get over the rails in a timely fashion.

I will also point out that flights are delayed as well, and you can run into traffic jams on the highways, so passenger trains are not the only form of travel that are late (I could talk about flights into and out of Detroit or MIami that seem to be delayed plenty, for example) . Some folks seem to forget that.

One thing that your post did not mention was which train you are taking from TOL to CHI. The Capitol Ltd has the double deck equipment, while the Lake Shore Limited uses only single level equipment. With the double deck cars, one can see out more. The Capitol has a better reputation for punctuality.

Regarding the accomodations, the beds will be enough for a six-foot + person. In the Family BR, you should have no trouble. Just don't expect the Ritz Carlton. I have traveled in the Roomettes before in the past, and they are sufficient for one person. The Family BR will have at least double the space of the Roomettes. One thing you could do is to take some masking tape out and tape down the floor dimensions of the accomodations in the garage, to give you an idea about the size of the room. The dimensions can be found on the Amtrak website.

The family BR is located on the lower level of the sleeper, and the bathrooms and shower facility are also on that level. There are at least three restrooms on the lower level of the sleepers.

One web site to check out: http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-tips.shtml

Something to keep in mind when traveling, are the expectations. In my train travels, I've met people who were having the time of their lives, and other people who thought they were having the trip from Purgatory - on the same train! The difference was in the levels of expectation between members of the two groups. Those who focused upon using the train to spend time with their family and loved ones had a better trip, while those who had expectations fo absolute perfection were disappointed. If you are looking for an all-out luxury train tour, I suggest GrandLuxe Tours (formerly the American Orient Express), or Mid America Rail Car Leasing, Inc. If you ever deal with them, be prepared to spend a price that will make Amtrak look like a bargain.

For your child, I think I would have them bring a book or two along to read, and at least one game (like a deck of cards, for example). May I also suggest some inexpensive ear plugs, such as the foam ones found at a drugstore - those may assist in your efforts to sleep.

Aside from that, relax and have a good trip. You'll avoid the hassles and headaches of driving. The meals are included in the price of the accomodations.