Search

Amtark in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtark in advance?

Hi all
I will be taking the Amtrak in mid February from Manhattan to Albany on Saturday. Should I book in advance?
Thanks
Alan
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:40 AM

probably won't be full but if you know the date, you might as well do it in advance just to make sure. You should also make sure you book on the reserved train which will guarantee you a seat rather than the non-reserved.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:44 AM

Definately- even though there are more trains to Albany, some do sell out. At the Amtrak web site reservation page- check out the "rail sale". I've gotten great deals- look for train 48/49. Also usually in Jan. they run specials for later reservations.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 06:43 AM

It's unlikely that a Saturday train would be full. I second watching for "Rail Sales", as I've seen fares for under $10. BTW, the "Albany" station is actually across the Hudson River in Rensselaer. Taxis based at the station, but local bus options can be found at www.cdta.org you'd want bus 14,15, or 24, if I recall correctly.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:49 AM
adoptionisfab

I have noticed that fares go up the more crowded the train gets. HAs anyone else noticed that?

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Yes, when I booked on the Coast Starlight, they told me that the prices do go up the more seats they sell. I waited a few weeks to book and wound up paying more.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Amtrak fares on the East Coast don't increase as the train gets more crowded, but some trains are cheaper/slower than others and these ones sell out faster. You really don't have to book your trip this early. I usually buy tix for a Friday afternoon trip about 5-7 days before I leave.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Hi Alan

Go to Amtrak's website (www.amtrak.com)...some trains to Albany are marked unreserved (as noted by the U in the square); in fact you'll note most of them are...for these, there's no need to book in advance. For those unreserved trains, you'll be just as likely to get a seat as anyone else at New York's Penn Station, whether you buy your ticket months in advance or 25 minutes before the train leaves; just keep your eyes on the electronic gate announcer (usually 10-15 minutes before the train's due to go) and file up quickly at your gate with everyone else when your gate is listed. I've done this trip spontaneously on a Saturday and when I went there were plenty of spare seats even.

I used to take unreserved trains all the time (Baltimore-Philly, DC-NYC, etc...), arriving typically 10 minutes before they left, quickly buying my tickets at the automatic Quik-Trak machine. I'd always get on the train and 49 times out of 50, I'd get a seat (only times I didn't was once around Thanksgiving and once Memorial Day weekend...I think in mid-Feb., you'll have no problem).

Have fun in Albany! DAN
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:14 AM
cfc

Don't know if this will work in your case, but I know that station "red caps" or their equivalent -- people who help those with a lot of luggage -- know early which track the train will be at. Even if you don't have a lot of luggage, you can sometimes tip such people to tell you which track it'll be so oyou can line up early. Somehow, I doubt that you'll have much trouble getting a northbound seat in mid-February, though.