America West Airlines

Search

America West Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
America West Airlines

I am flying from Tampa to Phoenix on America West airlines. I was wondering if this airline is any good.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM

We use them all the time and are quite happy with them. They are/have merged with US Air and they will use the US
Air name.
R5
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Go here to find out about the specifics of checking in at your airport: http://www.usairwaysinfo.com/usair/c...-check-in.aspx

R5
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Flew America West from Houston to Phoenix, after missed connection on airline of choice. America West was comfortable and similar to previous flights we have taken on US Air. Happy to say the America West flight had more open seats than airline of choice.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM

I had an awful experience with America West when they first emerged. They left me and my employee stranded in LA after guaranteeing that the flight from Las Vegas would arrive, then when it was way too late to get us onto other airlines they cancelled the flight. I missed my connection and we spent the night sleeping on the floor in some airport. Hopefully they've got their act together by now.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:13 PM

I wish you good luck on this flight. We have not had such with America West. Delays and cancelations are quite common. They are definitely a second class airline with their only plus being slightly cheaper prices at times.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:20 PM

It earned the nickname "America Worst" a few years back, but management has turned it around. It should be no worse than an average US airline.

Besides, the only airline that flies this route is Southwest (one daily), so it's not like you have a lot of choices.

It's food for purchase on TPA-PHX.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Ugh! Our only experiences with America Worst were flying thru Vegas on the way elsewhere and every trip was rotten. Delays, cancellations, stressed out gate agents, etc. We now pay more money to get on United, etc. for our cross country flights. Granted, maybe that's just Vegas!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:08 AM

When leaving Phoenix to return home, allow alot of extra time. We almost missed our flight back to NY due to not enough America West staff. We arrived at the airport over 2 hours ahead of the flight on a Sunday morning. When we got to the gate, the door was actually closed, but since there were a few other people (about 10) in the same predicament as my husband and I, the flight was reopened.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Anthony, don't worry you will be fine. I fly America West frequently. They are a typical domestic carrier. No better or no worse than others.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Just flew America West this week and had no problems at all. The only small complaint I'll mention was that one of the planes didn't have air vents above the seats. But on the return flight it was a different aircraft and they were there.

I got the sense that they are really trying to get it together for the merge with U.S. air.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:42 AM
TheWeasel

"It earned the nickname "America Worst" a few years back"

I've heard this. But I've also heard Northwest referred to as "Northworst", and even Southwest as "Southworst". It seems any airline with West in its name will have someone calling it Worst.

FWIW, I've flown AW a couple times and had no problems.

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I've not heard of "Southworst". But HP and NW certainly earned their respective reputations.

Remember all the 30-year old DC-9s and DC-10s on NW and that they stranded passengers for 10+ hours at DTW/MSP during snowstorms?

HP was cancelling lots of flights a few years back due to too-aggressive cutbacks in pilot and FA scheduling, and their planes tend to have mechanicals at higher than average frequencies.

Both airlines have improved, so one shouldn't use their performances 4-5 years ago to judge what they're doing now.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:51 AM

America West is much, much better than they were a few years ago. Better on time arrivals. Hate to say it but Southwest is the new airline that is never on time with flights departing from Las Vegas.

America West also has a good frequent flier club, very easy to upgrade using miles, at least in my experience.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Isn't Phoenix America West's hub ... therefore gate priority for arrivals/departures? Flown them many times Chicago O'Hare to Vegas & Phoenix and have experienced less problems with them then the majors. We just flew American to Vegas and commented that the seats on America West were more comfortable. Also, when we left Phoenix last year, self-check in worked great. However, security was slow.