Altitude problems in Keystone CO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from Georgia and planning to be in Keystone Colorado in January. Is the difference in altitude really a problem? Some in our family are prone to get headaches and others have had heart trouble. Will these members be affected more by the altitude and is there any suggestions to prepare for it?
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM

We were in Telluride (similar elevation to Keystone) a couple of summers ago. The altitude bothered me - headaches, feeling blah, for the first day or two.

My doctor had suggested a stop in Denver for a day to start the process of getting one's body used to the higher elevations. (We didn't do that though.) Suggest each member of your group talk to their doctor for medical advice.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM

Keystone is more than 9,000 feet - and at that altitude many people have mild symptoms and some (with asthma or other lung problems - or who ever smoked) can have more serious ones.

At a minimum expect to experience a change in your breathig - especially if exerting yourself. If doing strenuous exercise you may feel dizzy or lightheaded.

Any one with outstanidng medical problems should see their doctor before going - and stopping for a day or two at a mid level altitude to get acclimatized is a good idea.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM

Even if everybody feels fine the first day, do not plan anything.

Just let them take it easy, walk around a little if they feel so, no caffeine (unless they are coffee drinkers, may cause withdrawal headache, so let them decide) and no alcohol.

Google for general advices like drink plenty of water, I forgot which herb can be taken, probably Gingko Biloba. To be honest, didn't help me at all

Make sure your plans allow them to rest whenever they feel so.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM

We live in Denver and go to our mountain home often. I feel a bit headachey unless I drink lots of water. That's the best solution I've found. Don't overdo the exercise on day one, either.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM

Stay hydrated before, during and after the plane flight. On our ski trip to Steamboat last year, our 10 year old ended up in the Summit County (near Breckinridge) emergency room on oxygen on our drive from the Denver airport (we live in Atlanta) to Steamboat. The ER was full of people with altitude issues. The ER doctor and nurse told us that children and the elderly are more likely to be affected. Their advice was to stay hydrated and take it easy for the first couple of days (no skiing for son for 48 hours). We have been to Colorado to ski probably 10 times before that trip and this was the only time any of us had been affected by the altitude. Good luck. You will all probably be fine.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM

If you fly into Denver and go straight up, you're asking for discomfort or worse.

Definitely stay overnight in Denver (altitude 5280) before heading up to Keystone. Even Denver's altitude can be tough on some people, but not as a rule, not unless you exert yourself or drink alcohol (funny how a couple of drinks can make some otherwise sturdy drinkers go loopy!).

After a night in Denver you are less likely to be impacted when you get to K., but walk easily, use sunscreen even if it is overcast (for the cold and extremely dry air), sunglasses (good ones, preferably wrap-around) against the glare that causes headaches, keep the waterbottle handy, and take a moderate painkiller if you get a splitting headache.

Maybe you'll feel none of the above - let's hope so!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM

It varies tremendously by individual. We have stayed in Denver overnight, never ski on day of arrival even if drive up to resort, always drink gallons of water, and I always end up with headaches and insomnia. One time even became nauseated after eating a fancy dinner. So for me, nothing seems to prevent effects of altitude at those heights when expending the energy of skiing (but I do avoid any fancy dining). I sometimes have some insomnia, but no headaches when visiting in the summer with less strenuous exercise.

My husband, three nieces and two nephews never have trouble. My sister-in-law who lives in Colorado even fell victim on one trip, but never again.

That's the major reason we have switched to skiing in Utah at lower elevations. I am alot more fun.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM

I have been to Keystone a few times, usually for recreation and once for a week long conference. The conference had a lot of senior scientists aged 50+ and many were not too happy. The altitude brought out any tendency toward angina. If any in your party has a heart condition, have them check with the doc before they go. A prescribed nitro inhaler may be a good thing to have handy just in case.

Nearby Loveland Pass has a spectacular gondola ride up to the lodge (at least it did when last there). However, the lodge is at about 13K feet.

Know that the altitude has a multiplier effect on alcohol. This was revealed by those of us at the Loveland Lodge clinging to walls and furniture to get about after one glass of wine.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM

My husband who had never had altitude sickness previously, developed it for the first time at Keystone. He had been on other high altitude trips in his life without incident. However, Keystone--well actually Copper Mtn, but it was a "Keystone meeting"---was the highest altitude he had ever been to.

Once you get it the first time, you continue to get it on each subsequent trip. No way to predict it, as a search of other posts will tell you.

Definitely confer with MD re: your particular concerns.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM

My DH experienced headaches and a few nosebleeds while in Colorado. We were at altitudes above 10,000'. He improved immediately once we went to lower elevations. Thereafter, we decided to ski in Utah where the mountain ski resorts tend to be at lower elevations (around 8,000'00)+.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM

Altitude sickness is one of those syndromes that affects everyone differently...and most people not at all. Some people experience it to some degree once, then never experience it again. Others can travel year after year up into the mountains, never experiencing a symptom, then BAM they get a good case the next two times...then never again. A rare few are unfortunate enough to suffer some degree of symtoms every time they go above a certain elevation. The bottom line is that altitude sickness is extremely variable in who it affects, when it affects them, and how it affects them.

The Frisco Medical Center estimates that about 30% of all visitors to the Colorado high country will experience some degree of altitude sickness at least once during their visit. Many of those will be so mild as to barely register as noticable. A rare few will experience symptoms so severe that they require hospitalization and evacuation to lower altitudes.

Symptoms include varying degrees of one or more of the follwing: malaise,
fatigue,
insomnia,
nausea,
vomiting,
headache,
and shortness of breath without exertion.

Shortness of breath that worsens to include cough, congestion, and increased difficulty breathing, may be signs of a simple cold, or when especially combined with any of the other symptoms above, could be indicative of High Altitude Pulmonary Edema - a manifestation of altitude sickness that requires immediate oxygen supplementation and evacuation to lower elevations.

The main culprit in all this is the lower oxygen levels found at elevation.

And one thing is virtually guaranteed to make existing symptoms worse - exertion.

Some prophylactic measures that one can take to try to prevent or alleviate symptoms have already been mentioned such as maintaining your hydration (humidity levels in the mountains can be as low as 5% and you may not feel the effects of dehydration until it's too late), resting the first day or two, and minimizing alcohol consumption. As mentioned, these measures work for some, but not for others. The idea of spending a day or two in Denver to acclimate oneself is a viable suggestion, but not a guarantee ... and not always practical.

The degree to which your family members may experience increased headaches, depends upon what causes their headaches in the first place. If their headaches are due to simple stress, then an increase in headache manifestation is not a guarantee, unless they plan to experience a lot of stress on their vacation.

Heart trouble is a different story. It has been my experience that those with heart trouble are generally at higher risk of problems related to altitude. And the worse their heart condition is (especially if it's not under good control), the greater likelihood of manifestations of one kind or another. And again, exertion will make any symptomology worse. Those in your family with a heart condition need to consult their physician before coming out here to determine just what they can and cannot do.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM

my husband suffered some other symptoms on a trip there last August - which, to me, were extremely scary - they developed on the 4th day. Lethargic, "foggy", felt like he was in a vacuum, couldn't remember things. I thought he was having a stroke or something, but it was AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness). We were well hydrated and taking it easy, but it didn't matter. Only answer was to get out of there to a lower altitude. It took about 24 hours to fully recuperate. Not funny and no easy answer if altitude bothers your body.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to each of you that have responded regarding the attitude in KS. Seems more serious than we considered. Digesting your info. Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Oops, that was supposed to be altitude, not attitude.