Search

Vail or Breck - altitude ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vail or Breck - altitude ..

Hi all
Further to a previous question, I'm trying to decide whether to book overnight accommodation at Vail or Breckenridge. Breckenridge comes out favourite (cheaper rooms!) - but I keep reading about the dangers of the high altitude. This would not normally worry me, but I lost a good friend, last month, who died of altitude sickness, in her tent, during her sleep - in the Himalayas.. It was very sad - she was a very fit person.
So, this is freaking me out a bit. Should I be worried?
Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM

It's at under 10,000 ft. There's no danger to you. However, everybody reacts differently to the altitude when you stay up there for that long. You may have headaches, you may have problem sleeping.

But until you try it, you'll never know.

It has nothing to do with age or fitness level.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan
I am being a silly-billy! I've never had problems at altitude before. Breckenridge it is!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM

The funny thing about altitude is it will either bother you or it won't, most likely, and there's not really any way to predict how it will affect you. I have a home at 9500 feet and another and sea level and go back and forth. It doesn't bother me (other than getting winded going up hill when I am not in good shape). Some people get horrible headaches and nausea.

Unless you have a heart condition you shouldn't be worried about dying. Take the normal high altitude advice; drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and caffiene for the first day or two and take asprin. Don't plan on climbing any mountains as soon as you get there. If you find you are a person who is affected, you can get Rx Diamox. Summit County also has companies that will deliver O2 for those in need. I think there's even an O2 Bar in Breck.

I bet your friend was a good deal higher than 10k feet.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM

When you said you have had no problem at altitude before, how long were you up there?

Altitude only affect most people after at least 3-4 hours or more. Going up to the top of the mountain to ski, or visiting a Alpine peak by cablecar, or driving I-80 through Colorado will not affect the vast majority of people.

But staying overnight at 9,000ft is a different matter.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

OMG, you're worrying me again! I've spent a fair bit of time in the Alps, though not sure of the altitudes, I've been to the Grossglockner Pass (more than 12 000 feet, although didn't stay overnight) - also Banff, Canada and, even Sequoia NP, I believe has an altitude of 7 000 ft. No real problems - just slight breathlessness on walking uphill (which isn't unusual for me!)
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Like we said, you just can't tell unless you're done it. Lots of people stay at Breckenridge every night with no problem - that's why they have hotels there. But some do, so next time they go somewhere else for their ski vacation.

Nothing should be serious. But can be annoying if you have headache all night and can't sleep. You just have to try it once and find out.

If you don't want to take that small risk and don't want to find out, then go somewhere else.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Wildblueyonder, please don't worry. It sounds like you've got enough experience to predict you'll be fine. If you get the headache, just take asprin. It truly is the minority that have problems. If you're concerned, maybe talk to your doctor about diamox.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Please stop fretting! I've had people up from sea level with extra poundage, various health conditions and ages, and NEVER had someone with problems due to the altitude. Yes, some do, but you wouldn't have all those droves of folks coming out from sea level to have ski vacations if it was a big deal.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM

You will be fine!
What I remember about Breckenridge was the walk back from the bars and up the two flights to the condo....that is when I felt the altitude!! or was it the Scotch!

John
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I don't think that anyone can assure you in advance that you won't have problems. We've taken ski trips where we slept at 9000' many times with only minor problems, but a friend had such trouble in Summitt County that the physician she went to told her to immediately go to Denver or die from swelling in her brain.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your thoughts! Finally though, we decided to stay at Glenwood Springs, as that will be handier for our onward journey - so (probably!) no need for oxygen canisters!