Search

Alta with children

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta with children

My husband is an experienced skier. The kids (9 and 7) and I have never skied. Friends have suggested Alta as a great family friendly place. We wanted to go in late Feb. But, the base lodges seem to be really full then. We could just stay in SLC (Grand American) and rent a car or reschedule the trip for early April. Any suggestions on when we should go and/or tips for family friendly, but high quality lodging?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:08 PM

Hi Misha,

You don't say how many days you have. If you have a full week, I would suggest Park City instead. All 3 ski areas in Park City have plenty of excellent beginner runs and outstanding ski schools. Very family friendly. There are also many more non-skiing activities in the area than in Little Cottonwood Canyon, where Alta is located.

Alta's neighbor, Snowbird, has some non-skiing activities and an excellent spa. I would say yes to the April idea at Alta if you are staying a shorter time. The snow will be great, and the weather warmer and more enjoyable for beginner lessons. Also April skiing in Utah is very uncrowded.

Staying in SLC is also good, but you do have the extra hassle of collecting gear and people everyday and driving up to the slops. Not that any of them are far away. 40 minutes tops.

Write back if you have more questions.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle. We have about 5 nights. Would Park City be good in April and for that much time? Is there still lots of snow on the ground? DO you have any suggestions for lodging there and in Alta? I really appreciate your help.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:22 PM

sounds like you'll be bal;ancing snow quality vs. amenities. Alta/Snowbird has better early and late skiing, but Park City definitely has more other activities and if a very fun ski town.

April can be dicey for snow in Park City, but it will be fine in Alta/Snowbird.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I really liked Alta for family skiing but there is nothing to do at night there. Snowbird had night skiing on the bunny hill which my kids enjoyed. I would not want to drive in from SLC every day, either.

Park City is a cute town, lots to do apres-ski.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Hello again Misha,

Lodging, really too many options to list in the Park City area. Here's a few of the VERY best ($$$$$).

Deer Valley: Stein Erickson's, Goldener Hirsch, The Lodges at Deer Valley, The Chateau, The Stag Lodge, and many private condos which can be booked through any of the property management companies.

At Snowbird: The Cliff Lodge, several excellent restaurants and lounges inside, 5* spa and a roof-top swimming pool and hot tub (both BIG) that is one of the best places in the world to be to watch alpen glow in the Wasatch!

Alta: I've never been in the Peruvian Lodge, but it's supposed to be the place to stay for Alta. I would suggest staying at Snowbird and skiing both. The free shuttle bus runs between them frequently and you can also get a combo ticket ski between them if you are an intermediate skier.

If you are coming in April, the snow gets pretty mushy in Park City. Snowbird and Alta will have great snow.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dayle, I think we'll wait until April. and do Alta or Snowbird. So you would suggest Cliff Lodge at Snowbird over Alta Lodge -- even if we have no snowboarders in the family?