all national parks in Alaska

Old Nov 6th, 2020, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all national parks in Alaska

Looking ahead to when we can travel again, at some point we would like to visit all of the national parks in Alaska. We have previously been to Denali and Glacier Bay (although we certainly wouldn't mind going back again, but less of a priority). We live in New Hampshire so are most interested in seeing if we could visit all of the parks in one trip - close to retirement so time is not necessarily an issue). Has anyone been to all the parks in one trip?
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You probably know this already, but your question made me curious... 17 national parks (in addition to 16 wildlife refuges) and you've been to two so 15 more to go

Old Nov 7th, 2020, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have been going by the 8 national parks listed as part of the 62 listed in the US by the NPS (which is our ultimate goal to get to), but have seen that higher number of parks listed in other places. Do you know what makes that discrepancy?
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 05:17 AM

I have only been to one of them, Gates of the Arctic, a handful of times. Due to the geography of Alaska, visiting the parks takes a lot of time. You could do all of them in one trip, but you would really have to plan it out and allow plenty of time. Like for Gates of the Arctic, there are no roads, so you need to take a plane or hike in, and there are no services whatsoever. Alaska is just so different than the continental US.
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 06:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a bit of confusion over nomenclature. There are 8 designated national parks and a further 8 designated national monuments and reserves managed by the National Park Service.

Here's a map showing all of them. Denali, Glacier Bay, Kenai Fjords, Kobuk Valley, Gates of the Arctic, Wrangell-St. Elias, Katmai and Lake Clark are official national parks; the rest are national monuments/preserves etc.

Of those, you'd need to fly in to see Kobuk, Gates of the Arctic, Katmai and Lake Clark; there's no road access and very limited accommodation and services. Bring money.

Old Nov 7th, 2020, 02:23 PM

Generally, congress designates National parks and presidents cen designate National Monuments, but most are under the National Park Service. There might be some difference in how they are funded. In any case, if you are old enough, get the golden age np pass, let’s you visit all the monuments,seashores, parks for the rest of your life. When we got it, it was $10 but I think it is $80 now which you can spread over four years. The best bargain in any case.
Old Nov 8th, 2020, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

We do have the Golden Age passes and got them when it was still $10 too. Great bargain!
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 09:37 AM

Have you read Conor Knighton's book about visiting all the national parks in a year? it's not a "how to" book but is great for history and interest in the parks.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I have not - but great suggestion, thank you!
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 05:11 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The America the Beautiful Senior pass is indeed $80, but it's good for a lifetime, not just four years.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/se...ss-changes.htm
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 08:44 AM

You can pay for it over four years, twenty a year, so you do not have to come up with eighty on your first visit. It is indeed good forever once you get to eighty,
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems I misunderstood your post oldemalloy, sorry about that. Agree it's a heck of a deal. Spouse just got his this past summer. The child bride isn't yet eligible, but I'll benefit from his nonetheless
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 05:16 PM

Just a note on passes. Veterans are now eligible for free America the Beautiful Pass. Of course we just bought a new one a couple months ago, but when that one expires it will be nice to not have to pay for it. My husband is retired military, but any veteran is eligible.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 05:35 PM

Did the Minnesota national park trip happen yet?

As to the National Park Service, they manage National Military Parks, National Historic Parks, National Recreation Areas, National Rivers, etc, it’s a long list.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

The Isle Royale, Voyageurs, Theodore Roosevelt trip DID happen last summer and it was great. I particularly loved Isle Royale. And we are glad to have been to Theodore Roosevelt since it was so far out of the way. Beautiful scenery everywhere. We have a great picture of a bison at Theodore Roosevelt blocking the road and stopping to pose for a picture. We took the boat ride to the "Tiltin Hilton" and it was a great tour.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

I read this book this past summer and LOVE it. Thank you for the suggestion!