Alcatraz - Which evening tour to take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked and discovered that the sun sets at 7:13 on the evening we want to tour Alcatraz.

There is a tour at 6:10 and another tour at 6:50.
Since I don't know which way the boat goes around the island and any other info, I'm wondering which tour would be the best for seeing the bridge and also the sunset.

Has anyone done the evening tour? and which tour did you take? ( oh, I guess time of year would make a difference. We are going the middle of Sept.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM

I would do the earlier one, it will get you to the outside portion about the right time. I think the later one will have you miss the sunset from outside unless you linger before the tour, which I wouldn't recommend.

[I am assuming that the boat leaves Fisherman's Wharf at those times; not starts their return from Alcatraz at those times].

Deb
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Hello Kodi, unless things have changed the boat does not go around Alcatraz, it goes from Pier 33 to the pier at Alcatraz..about a 10 or 15 minute trip at the most. You are talking about taking the ferry to tour Alcatraz correct? You can see the Golden Gate Bridge and if the timing is right the sunset from the port side (left) of the ferry.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb and Love, Sounds like the earlier tour would be the best.
THose times are the times it leaves the pier.
The following is a clip from the schedule page...SO I thought by the sounds of it that it went all around the island.

I'll book the earlier one. Even their own blip says we'll see the sunset but it doesn't say from which tour.
As usual, both of you are a big help. Thanks again.

Voted “Best Tour of the Bay Area,” the Alcatraz Night Tour provides a more intimate, engaging Alcatraz experience. This tour includes a personally narrated boat tour around the island; guided tours from the dock to the main prison building; “Doing Time: The Alcatraz Cellhouse Tour” and a variety of special programs and presentations offered only at night. Enjoy a sunset silhouetting the Golden Gate Bridge and breath-taking views of San Francisco as night falls. A truly exceptional experience
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Kodi, that is the tour we did. The boat actually does do a bit of a circle: it approaced from the end, goes to the side, around the top of the island to the dock on the other side. It goes about 2/3 around island. When it leave it complete the other 1/3 and heads back to pier in harbor.

Have you seen my pictures?
Deb
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Deb you are a huge help. I have seen your beautiful pictures...
We definately want to do this tour.

But with sunset at 7:13, I'm just undecided on whether to take the 6:10 tour or the 6:50.

I was thinking the earlier one might be too early. That would mean we'd have to be on the boat for just over an hour. Is that the case? Or will the boat be on the wrong side for the sunset?

I know it sounds trivial, but I want to take the boat with the best chance of seeing the bridge, sunset etc.

Thanks again Deb. I feel like we are following in your footsteps.. I'll have to reread your reports and see you photos again.
I do remember the crashing waves that you took on the video setting of your camera.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM

OK, in that I have never taken the evening cruise I didn't know that! One learns something new every day. You will have such fun Kodi!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM

kodi, I think you will miss the sunset if on the 6:50 boat as you will have just started the tour by 7:13 having gotten to the island just after 7. IF you wait till 7:13 near the ferry landing on Alcatraz, you will be on the wrong [eastern] side of the island to see Golden Gate and sunset. If you have just started the tour, you will be inside and miss it.

On the other hand, if you take the 6:10 tour, you will be done with most of the tour and will be able to go outside on the western side of the island and be able to see sunset. The best view will be overlooking what was the guards living area/apartments near the wardens house. Simply glance west and voila!

You will not see sunset from either boat, but will be on the island at 7:13 -- exactly where on the island will depend on which arrival time.

I hope this makes sense.

Deb
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Don't get your heart set on seeing a sunset - often the Golden Gate is fogged in around sunset. Last night it was drippy fog - we had the wipers on.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb, that's just the information I needed , and yes, I do understand. We'll book the earlier tour.

Stu, I shouldn't say this out loud, but good weather usually follows me on vacation... so hopefully it won't be fogged in that night.